Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder coat vs. Polish

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:32 AM
DavidD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coat vs. Polish

What should I do? Powder coat the lower legs or polish them? How much do I need to spend to have them coated? And If I polish them how hard is it to keep them looking like chrome?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
bakerm75
Road Captain

After looking at the under 50 I got the powder coat Idea in my head also. Thanks for the info. I'm waiting on my manual, how hard is it to take off the lower sliders?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Baker,

Never had mine on the sporty apart other than the tubes out of the trees but have taken some lowers apart years ago and without the right tools its a pain to pull and re-install the seals but all in all not too big a job. When you get you serv. manual you'll see and have the step by step.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
bakerm75
Road Captain

I'm not real handy, so its probobly not something I want to tackle then.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your getting a service manual then you must plan on doing some of your own work anyway. If ya can read and comprehend (the manual is very clear and easy to understand) and have a jack with a few tools you'll be fine. OR you can pull the fork tubes after removing the wheel etc. and take them to a dealer/indy and have them pull apart, send em out to powder than when you get them back have the dealer/indy put them back together. They would probably do it for you for an hours labor $50-75 maybe (hour labor to pull apart then and hour to put back together. Obviously more if they do the whole job with your bike. A number of dealers/indys also have connections with Powdercoaters and could have them done for you but I have an idea that whole job would make the cost much higher.

If you do the job yourself you will enjoy the learning experience and fun of it. Just think that if you really get stuck then you can always take it to the dealer/indy. Half the fun of riding is also wrenching on your own bike. I know lots of folks who say they're not real handy but heck, half the battle is getting over the fear of trying. Just read and work carefully.

Last edited by capttawes; 01-02-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
bakerm75
Road Captain

I'll look over the manual and see if its something I feel comfortable starting.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You also have the option of painting them with an epoxy spray paint. You could even do it with them on the bike. Cost next to nothin to do, just a little time and some paint.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:07 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I do powder and i epoxy painted mine! there is no way you can powder them for under 50 bucks... polishing just takes time... but then just simple wax to maintain! i have done all three... personally i love the look of polish if you have any chrome on your ride i woudl say polish them up!
if you need pics or how-to's i can post them for you... the think about epoxy paint, after all the sanding it puts you 1/2 way to polished!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like said above, use the manual & do it yourself, ya gotta get to know your bike dude! It's really pretty easy, just takes a little while the 1st time, then you'll realize how f'n easy it is - specially with that manual!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:16 PM
bakerm75
Road Captain

I was out cleaning my garage and organizing my small supply of tools, and I noticed that the ice is off the road I almost went for a ride, except its like 3* outside.

Can't wait to get my manual. I think reorganizing the wiring up front is my first project. I'm comfortable with electric and wiring.

Quick Reply: Powder coat vs. Polish