Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

making the ride more comfortable for a passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 AM
rollingrocker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question making the ride more comfortable for a passenger?

my girlfriend is tall 5' 8" and she complains the footpegs' position is not comfortable...plus the seat becomes painful for her after a 50 mile ride or so...my question is -aside from getting a shorter girlfriend - how have you made a dyna ride more comfortable for your passenger significant others? she does not want to buy her own bike and i'd like her to keep enjoying the ride with me...
**i have '08 streetbob w/ passenger seat and back rest...everthing was done at the dealership.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife hated the ride on the Superglide. I swapped the passenger footpegs for passenger floorboards. She still hated it and insisted that I get an Ultra so she could be comfy when we rode. I didn't mind adding an Ultra to the stable, so I picked one up and took her for a short ride (about 3 blocks). She didn't like that either. Since I enjoy taking long trips and also like a little female company, I dumped the wife and found a great lady that loves to ride her own, or ride on the back of either the Superglide or the Ultra. Never regretted the decision and never will. Not saying this is the answer for you, but it worked for me!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a touring style seat, and see if she can reach the mid pegs from the passenger seat, lol. If so, get forwards for yourself, and leave the mids on, for her.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 AM
davidc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a Mustang touring seat the wife likes it, been on 300-350 mile rides and she doesn't complain anymore.

Attached Thumbnails making the ride more comfortable for a passenger?-picture-075.jpg  
Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the Sundowner seat on and my wife is happy.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:33 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 315 Posts

My wife if 5' 11", and didn't care for the stock seat on the Fat Bob at all.
We went with the Harley touring seat, and she is comfortable now.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Yeah, I know it does not look as good as the stock seat. But you can ride all day on this seat and still be able to walk at the end of the day.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 872 Likes on 515 Posts

Maybe she has long legs and pass pegs are to high to be comfortable. The stock seats are not designed for pass comfort. Go with the HD Sundowner (much wider then stock, dimensions are listed on the HD web site), Mustang or one of the other quality after market seat makers. Take her to the next bike night or rally and have her talk to other females near her size. Find out what they find comfortable before sending any money.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's hard to compare since my wife is 5'0" but she didn't like the ride with the stock seat and footpegs and rigid sissy bar. She complained the vibrations were too easily passing through everything and giving her that numb itchy feeling you get when your circulation gets cutoff for a while. The position of the footpegs, however, was fine with her. So, I upgraded the pegs to some Kury's with the ISO rubber insets in them. Not standard ISO pegs, I think they are called retro pegs or something like that but they still have the ISO rubber in them. Then, as much as I hated it, I added a Tallboy seat which is basically a stretch (for the driver) version of the Sundowner touring seat. Hate the way it looks but it sure is cushy and we can both ride a long time on it with no complaints. I only mount it and the detachable sissy bar, though, when she is riding with me. Otherwise, I prefer my solo, especially for shorter runs. The only thing she still complains about is the vibration and the numb itchy feeling coming through the sissy bar pad on her back. But it seems to start after the first few minutes of riding and then goes away and she's fine.

Kuryakyn has stuff in their catalog for adjusting peg positions all kinds of ways. Maybe you should check out those options.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife is about 5'5" and complained about the stock set from day 1. I wasn't happy with it either.

Switched to Sundowner Deep Bucket, changed Med-low upright with small pad to Low upright with touring pad, and switched pegs to oversized Chrome and Rubber pegs.

Now all is well with the world.

Sammi

Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a company that made a seat that unfolded and installed over the pillion pad to give a wider, more comfortable seat.

Can't find the site, but it was something like butt buddy or something.

Quick Reply: making the ride more comfortable for a passenger?