Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

College student wanting to upgrade to HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 AM
jewbaby667
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default College student wanting to upgrade to HD

So I've been riding my 81 KZ550 LTD until the wheels have fallen off. I'm a pretty broke college kid that needs a better highway bike. I've decided to try and get a nice used Dyna for around $5-6k to ride all over the country this summer. I want all the appeal that comes with a harley over my dependable ricer. I want the loping idle, loud pipes, comfy ride, and style with a killer bike. So, any info for a kid looking to upgrade? I've been checking craigslist and ebay for the last few months and have seen dozens of Dynas go in my price range since the economy tanked. Any advice for a young rider?

Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 AM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck with the hunt..

Old 01-02-2009, 02:38 AM
jewbaby667
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BUCKETASS
good luck with the hunt..
CHRIST! I got a lil PC thinking bout owning something that nice. I'm lookin more towards a late 80's low rider with 30k+ miles on it. Those things go for dirt cheap on Ebay. I wish i could have the '08 fxdwg on my background! OMG i would be rollin fat

Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

craigslist and fleabay are probably the way to go ... just be careful--some folks are getting scammed.

I think it'd be cool to have an old shovelhead or panhead ... you might look at www.hydra-glide.com they've got some great photos of vintage bikes. You could try posting a want-to-buy or see what's for sale in the classified section.

My personal favorites are the Duo Glides and Electra Glides from around '58 - '65.

You realize of course, there's a classified section on here with bikes for sale.

Good luck ... you are on the right path.

R/
Priest

Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 AM
jewbaby667
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Priest
craigslist and fleabay are probably the way to go ... just be careful--some folks are getting scammed.

I think it'd be cool to have an old shovelhead or panhead ... you might look at www.hydra-glide.com they've got some great photos of vintage bikes. You could try posting a want-to-buy or see what's for sale in the classified section.

My personal favorites are the Duo Glides and Electra Glides from around '58 - '65.

You realize of course, there's a classified section on here with bikes for sale.

Good luck ... you are on the right path.

R/
Priest
I want an evolution engine to free myself from the constant maintanence on previous engine designs. I am a shadetree mechanic so I can't afford expensive internal shovelhead designs.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jewbaby667
I want an evolution engine to free myself from the constant maintanence on previous engine designs. I am a shadetree mechanic so I can't afford expensive internal shovelhead designs.
A late 90's Evo powered Dyna would be a good way to go IMO. OTOH, I know a guy that bought an '06 Super Glide in your price range recently.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:50 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Stop at some HD dealers the prices will be much higher but some are looking to Dump inventory especially used. Make some offers and see how it goes

Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 AM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're looking for loudness along with a loping idle, stay away from the injected bikes. Sure you can just turn the ignition and hit the starter, it starts, everythings peachy and it makes people feel all warm inside but it wont sound like a Harley.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:20 AM
txtec
Banned
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by reded
if you're looking for loudness along with a loping idle, stay away from the injected bikes. Sure you can just turn the ignition and hit the starter, it starts, everythings peachy and it makes people feel all warm inside but it wont sound like a harley.
bullsh.t

Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txtec
bullsh.t
+1. To the extent the injected bikes don't "sound like a Harley" it's because of the ridiculously high idle speed they are set at, and it can't be adjusted. If you set the idle at 1000 rpm on a Shovel it ain't gonna lope.

Quick Reply: College student wanting to upgrade to HD