Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

College student wanting to upgrade to HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
warper
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
+1. To the extent the injected bikes don't "sound like a Harley" it's because of the ridiculously high idle speed they are set at, and it can't be adjusted. If you set the idle at 1000 rpm on a Shovel it ain't gonna lope.
Offtopic, but they are not set to high idle speed for nothing, it's a matter of oil flow. If you leave a CB Evolution and an EFI TC96 alone, at idle, in a room, guess which one will break first.

You can alter the idle RPM (at all temperatures) with proper tuning devices (SERT and TTS can do it, as well as PCIII, AFAIK), also the max RPM...

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil flow BS! The 96 is supposed to have a better oil pump than older models and I've seen older models that idle anywhere from 700-800 rpm, have over 50,000 miles on em and still run perfect while sounding like a true Harley. I suppose if you were to leave it idling all day it would eventually harm the engine but honestly, how long do you leave your bike idling at any one time?

Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reded
Oil flow BS! The 96 is supposed to have a better oil pump than older models and I've seen older models that idle anywhere from 700-800 rpm, have over 50,000 miles on em and still run perfect while sounding like a true Harley. I suppose if you were to leave it idling all day it would eventually harm the engine but honestly, how long do you leave your bike idling at any one time?
Yup, the high idle on FI models is for emission purposes only. Nothing to do with oil pressure.

(Theoretically, you could idle the motor so low that you would get oil pressure problems, but not at the typical 700 rpm idle of the older carb models.)

Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ebay man... personally when i was in college i woudl get my hands on old bikes and fix them up and sell them... had a fund set up for my HD... when i graduated i bought myself my graduation present... what you see listed below... not sure when you grad but the buy a sporty trade in full value is a HELL of a deal! may work the best for you right now... got any pics of that ricer? i am HUGE into vintage metrics! had a 82 XJ750 in college, SICK fast!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 PM
jewbaby667
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JRK5892
ebay man... personally when i was in college i woudl get my hands on old bikes and fix them up and sell them... had a fund set up for my HD... when i graduated i bought myself my graduation present... what you see listed below... not sure when you grad but the buy a sporty trade in full value is a HELL of a deal! may work the best for you right now... got any pics of that ricer? i am HUGE into vintage metrics! had a 82 XJ750 in college, SICK fast!

Here is a pic of my lil KZ

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/9783/newbvk1.jpg

By jewbaby667 at 2008-05-30

What is up with this trade in deal? It's just giving a brand new sportster its same value a year later?

Last edited by mud; 01-02-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: link to oversize picture
Old 01-02-2009, 12:28 PM
super-k
Intermediate

Remind me again why broke college kids are buying 5-6K motorcycles to ride around during the summer?

Restraint, folks....restraint. If we can't show some, this economy will completely collapse...

Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 PM
jewbaby667
6th Gear

Originally Posted by super-k
Remind me again why broke college kids are buying 5-6K motorcycles to ride around during the summer?

Restraint, folks....restraint. If we can't show some, this economy will completely collapse...
This is going to be my main form of transportation any time the weather is above 45 degrees and its not icy. I plan on riding 8 months out of the year. It's not a toy, it's a vehicle. I also plan on going on some serious roadtripping this summer again. I need a bigger bike and thought a HD would be the way to go. My KZ tops out at about 80 so it does not do interstate travel well. 70 MPH on it is screaming that lil engine. I'm not being the typical, "Live beyond my means" american, i'm trying to invest in a quality, american made vehicle. /endrant

Old 01-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jewbaby667
This is going to be my main form of transportation any time the weather is above 45 degrees and its not icy. I plan on riding 8 months out of the year. It's not a toy, it's a vehicle. I also plan on going on some serious roadtripping this summer again. I need a bigger bike and thought a HD would be the way to go. My KZ tops out at about 80 so it does not do interstate travel well. 70 MPH on it is screaming that lil engine. I'm not being the typical, "Live beyond my means" american, i'm trying to invest in a quality, american made vehicle. /endrant
Sounds like a Dyna is what you need, for sure. Try to get an 06 or 07 if you can swing it. Better frame and 49 mm forks. Plus 6 speed transmission.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:39 PM
moguy
Cruiser

Sure buy a Sporty then trade it in on a Dyna save yourself 2-3k to start out with but end up with monthly payments???? hummmmm............

I would stick to looking for a used bike, unless you can afford those payments. It could only help or hurt your credit.

Good Luck on buying your new to you bike.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:47 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

dude why not mod out what you got?! that bike is in killer shape! shoot some paint, cut the fender rails, get so suzuki savage shocks to drop it LOW as hell in back, some new bars, put the front fender as the rear and mount that to the swing arm... toss a solo seat on that sucker... be sick! or cafe it out! either way man you have a great platform to start and build from, you dont have to go out and buy when you already have a ride... make it your own!

Quick Reply: College student wanting to upgrade to HD