Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

College student wanting to upgrade to HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Dagerazod
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reded
If you're looking for loudness along with a loping idle, stay away from the injected bikes. Sure you can just turn the ignition and hit the starter, it starts, everythings peachy and it makes people feel all warm inside but it wont sound like a Harley.
Now wait a minute before calling BS here guys.... he IS right... to a point at least.

06 Dyna sounds like a sewing machine until you do something with the pipes.
08 Night Train had the same problem till I tossed some long shots on it.

Now I hit the button and they ROAR to life... but before they sounded like an old singer sewing machine.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:35 AM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're looking for loudness along with a loping idle, stay away from the injected bikes. Sure you can just turn the ignition and hit the starter, it starts, everythings peachy and it makes people feel all warm inside but it wont sound like a Harley.
Yeah, it will. And I dont have to plan my ride 20 minutes in advance to warm the bike up.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dagerazod
Now wait a minute before calling BS here guys.... he IS right... to a point at least.

Now I hit the button and they ROAR to life... but before they sounded like an old singer sewing machine.
You're talking about mufflers, he was talking about engine designs. There is nothing inherent in a Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, or EVO that will make them sound any different form a TC engine. They are all 45 degree v-twins running single crank pins, so they are all going to sound about the same. Is a Shovel running drag pipes going to "sound more like a Harley" than a 06 TC88 with the stock muffs? No, but it's sure going to be louder.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

...The FI bikes necessarily have a higher idle, and they like higher rpms in general.... however there is no mistaking the make of my dark blue baby by her sound when she rumbles past. (ditch the stock pipes).

reded, what bike do you ride anyway?

Last edited by archergodwin; 01-02-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 04 injected with Rinehart slip-ons sounds like a Harley.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gary7
You're talking about mufflers, he was talking about engine designs. There is nothing inherent in a Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, or EVO that will make them sound any different form a TC engine. They are all 45 degree v-twins running single crank pins, so they are all going to sound about the same. Is a Shovel running drag pipes going to "sound more like a Harley" than a 06 TC88 with the stock muffs? No, but it's sure going to be louder.
My bad. I'd just had a conversation with someone about the older engine designs sounding different and I somehow got that wrapped up in this discussion. He was only talking about fuel injection, not engine design.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Goddahavit
Tourer

I actually agree, no way my FI bike souunds as good as my carbed tc did at idle, get it moving and its fine, but that 1k idle does not idle like I love.

That being said we are missing the posters question.

I have seen several low milage dyna, either superglides, or even a fxdx go in your price range, if its a 99 they had cam tensioner recall I think, but 20k on a tc is no problem.

I prefered the tc over the evo, but either one would be just fine.

its a great time to be buying, just make sure you test ride whatever you choose, and if it doesnt feel right keep looking,

Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagerazod

Have to disagree with you on this, mine sounded more like a VW than a sewing macine.

Good luck with your hunt for the bike.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck in your search, and I have to say that there is nothing like the sound of a Shovelhead. They have a very distinct sound to them, regardless of which pipes.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM
HD4DP
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was a college student on a limited income, I would be looking at a nice sportster. You get the HD at the lowest possible price. If you go to the dealer, you can take advantage of the trade up deal they have going on right now.

Quick Reply: College student wanting to upgrade to HD