Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need opinions on Memphis shades sportshields

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need opinions on Memphis shades sportshields

I'm looking at getting a del rey, but fear it might be too small. I want something to get the wind off my chest for my 1,000 mile ride coming up, but I'm afraid of the dreaded wind buffeting. I wear a full face helmet so I don't want something too tall. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:32 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH, I've been looking at a Memphis Shades windshield for a while and pretty much decided on the Del Rio. I made a cardboard template of the both and put them on the bike. The Del Rio seemed perfect as far as it being even with my nose as per sizing instructions, the Del Ray seemed kinda small and really wouldn't offer too much protection but I don't wear a full face. I'm 5'10" and it probably would take some of the wind off my chest but not much more. What ever shield you do purchase you can always get the next size or two up if you don't like it for not much more coin.

Last edited by JerseyDevil; 12-29-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:14 PM
PsTaN
Road Master

I've got the Del Rio and find it to be a great shield ..... really more like a small fairing. I too spent much time deciding on what to get and finally just went with the slightly taller version and have been happy with the purchase. The MS Shield buffets much less than the H-D I had, but it's not a magic bullet. The fact that the MS can be mounted down tight on the headlight helps greatly in function and looks. You'll find some pics in my photo album ... I'll be glad to answer any other questions.

Hope that helps ...

PsTaN

Old 12-29-2008, 11:27 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have them both , the del ray is to small for me but looks ok.. use the del rio exclusivlly now.. i also put the mounts on my forks backwards, brings the shield a little closer to me and makes the headlite look better by letting it stick out front of the shield more.. no buffeting problems either..

Attached Thumbnails need opinions on Memphis shades sportshields-1.jpg  
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the Rio Grande and am happy with it. It keeps the wind off my chest which reduces fatigue. The wind hits me in about the middle of the forehead and I'm 6'4".

There is some buffeting, but the windshield is adjustable forward and back at all four mounting points and can be moved up or down the forks. You can adjust it by trial and error to get the best results for you.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 AM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a HD quick detachable standard size and have had good results with it. Get a little bit of buffeting at the very top of my helmet at higher speeds but overall i like the simplicity of this windshield alot. Takes all of 10 seconds to install or remove with the quick release clamps, and no hardware stays on the bike when its removed. This comes in real handy when it gets cold and i want to put on the windshield for my ride to work etc...

Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SuperFastGlide
have them both , the del ray is to small for me but looks ok.. use the del rio exclusivlly now.. i also put the mounts on my forks backwards, brings the shield a little closer to me and makes the headlite look better by letting it stick out front of the shield more.. no buffeting problems either..
Do you have a pic with the del rey installed?

Thanks everyone for the pics/advice.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:41 AM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior

yes, this is b4 i reversed the mounts, notice the lite is a little behind the shield.. i suppose another lite mount could be used to bring the lite forward as well..

Attached Thumbnails need opinions on Memphis shades sportshields-2.jpg   need opinions on Memphis shades sportshields-3.jpg  

Last edited by SuperFastGlide; 12-30-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Rio Grande and it works well. It's their largest sport shield but it still looks pretty compact compared to some of the HD ones.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 12-30-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior

as a side note... once you have the mounting hardware you can use any sport shield you want.. small in summer, bigger in winter

Quick Reply: need opinions on Memphis shades sportshields