Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to notch a rigid side plate???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 PM
jordanball33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to notch a rigid side plate???

looking for the how to or thread to notch sideplates for easy removal, sounds like a great idea

Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go back to the other thread,just posted how to.

Tom

Here,I'll cut and paste it for you.

To notch the side plates,take a sharpee and draw a line straight down from each outer edge of the rear bolt hole. Begin your cut with a file and finish with a hacksaw. Some people notch the front hole forward but the front bolt is so easy to get out that it's not really necessary.

What you want to be able to do is loosely attach the sideplate with the front bolt and just loosen the rear bolt enough so that you can pivot the sideplate down over the rear bolt withou having to remove the rear bolt completely.

It doesn't hurt to make the bottom of the wire slot a little bigger and it's a good idea to paint the raw cut to prevent rust.

Good Luck

Tom

Last edited by TOMMAY; 12-23-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:29 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how unsafe notching both the back hole downward, and the front hole forward would be? It would be way easier, and would work if the bolts squeezed the side plates tight enough.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:41 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Think it would be perfectly safe. If a passenger is leaning on the sissy bar the pressure is down at the back and up at the front and with the slot forward at the front there's no where for the plate to move unless the plate just broke which I don't see the slot weakening the sideplate enough for that to happen.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I notched mine down and it is plenty safe... does not move at all. they are held in tight by the strut bolts. The foward notch is a great idea and wish I would have thought of it to cut mine that way.
Jordan, get yourself a set of ratching wrenches so you can easily loosen the bolt that the turn signals are attached to.(pain in the azz with just a 1/2" wrench).
I have a 20 dollar stanley set that has lasted me a real long time (from walmart)

Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM
jordanball33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im glad i found this out, i was about to go with the detachable side plates, but i dont like how they look opposed to the rigid mounts, but on the other hand i already have the detachable mounts on my bike, sounds dumb i know but i would rather have the rigid plates for the look but still wanna keep my detachable mounts because i use bungee straps to hold things, but maybe once i get the rigid mounts and a sissy bar i will do away with the detachable mounts...

Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

When you put the bolts back in do you use locktite blue to stop them working loose or is that not an issue? Think notching out the rear is a great short cut but the front?? Bit of a no no I would have thought..

Old 12-24-2008, 12:42 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sumpnut
When you put the bolts back in do you use locktite blue to stop them working loose or is that not an issue? Think notching out the rear is a great short cut but the front?? Bit of a no no I would have thought..
Newton's Law and safety dictate that only one hole should be notched. Cutting both may be safe as well, but I'm not an engineer. I considered it though. If I had some skank on the back I wouldn't care, and the "look" of my bike would be more inportant. I love my wife though (even though she has a fat life insurance policy...J/K).

Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumpnut
no loctite on my bolts...never came loose... not notching the front is easy enough. As long as you have hands small enough to get the nut back in place to thread the bolt.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a similar method on another bike to turn a windshield into a quick-detach...something to keep in mind if you're ever interested in a shield.

As for notching out the plates, visualize where the the force of the person leaning on it will be.

If you want to make the front cut from underneath, come back an inch and cut an 'L' shape. You would push the plate down and slide it back, then push the rear down and bolt it.

You could also do like HD did with the quick-detach and slot it from the front.

I'd feel pretty safe with something like that...but I do like my quick-detach system.

Quick Reply: how to notch a rigid side plate???