Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Fuente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Help

I just received the Quick Release Detachable Windshield and have a few questions:

58601-04
Fits '88-later XL, Dyna (except FXDWG and FXDXT) and FXR models.
Standard Height, Lightly Smoked, Plain
MSRP US $369.95

This is the first time I have used a windshield and it seems awkward to me. This one is a standard height and the top of the windshield is slightly below my 'straight away' vision, so I am kind of caught between looking over the shield or through it if I lay back when I ride... which I tend to want to do.

Should I return this for a 'Low Profile' one... basically the same windshield and everything... just a little lower in height. Someone told me if I have a low profile one and the top of the glass is below my eyes, the wind will pop right into my eyes when I am riding. That is the reason I bought the standard height one listed above. It is very sharp looking... just very different for me to get used to.

Are you supposed to look above the shield when riding... or through it? If I am to look above the shield at all times, I will need to return this one for a low profile one. If so, what about the mention of the wind blowing directly into your face/eyes off of the shield IF your eye level is above the shield... as mine would be on a 'low profile' one.

Please advise... thanks.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:43 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Help

The theory is that you look above the windshield since during rain and such, there isn't anything to keep the windshield free of water. Windshields I've had on both of my bikes have been mounted where I generally look through the windshield and that hasn't been a problem. When I have been in rain, I just raised up a bit and looked over the top. It's your call whether you want to change it out or not. Me, I wouldn't. By the way, the low profile windshield will keep the wind off your face.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

We cut all our windshields so that we just look over them. That way you can see in the rain, and it has very little effect on what the wind does. I have a 6 1/2" smoke shorty on my EG Classic that hits me at about neck level, and the wind doesn't pop into my eyes. In fact, I wear a baseball cap most of the time when riding, and have no problem keeping it on.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Fuente
Advanced

Based on what you guys have stated then, it sounds as if I should replace this 'standard height' shield with a 'low profile' one... then I would always be eye level above the top of the shield. I don't like looking through it, but that is probably because even using one is a new experience for me. Hopefully, Chicago Harley will let me send it back and they, in return, send me the low profile windshield. I may have to pay a stocking fee... I'll have to check on how much. Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2005, 01:37 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Just cut the one you've got off. That way you decide just exactly where you want it instead of getting something that might not be just right for you.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-02-2005, 04:04 PM
Fuente
Advanced

Bill..... How do I cut it? Would a motorcycle shop have the ability to do this? After it is cut, would it still be proportioned correctly so it doesn't look awkward or off-balance? This is new stuff to me. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:12 PM
blue dream
Intermediate

windshield? wtf for? nothing wrong with being in the wind is there? go ahead and start beating me but a windshield? yeah yeah yeah.
fyins

Old 04-02-2005, 06:03 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Any glass shop can cut it for you, and it will look fine.

If you want to do it yourself here are the steps:

1. Use about 3 layers of masking tape in the area of where the cut is going to be. Tape both sides. This prevents scratches.
2. Sit on the bike and decide where you want the cut to be, and mark it with magic marker.
3. Make a template of light poster board by using the original curve of the windshield for a pattern.
4. Place this template on the windshield where you want the cut to be, and mark off where the cut will be.
5. Use a jig saw and cut about 1/4" higher than you want the shield to be.
6. Use a belt sander and take the windshield to exactly where you want it. Don't get in a hurry and melt the edge.
7. Finish the edge of the cut by hand with fine sandpaper. It will look just like the factory edge.
8. Remove masking tape.

If you don't have the tools, or don't want to try this yourself, just find a glass shop in the area. I think the price would probably be about 15.00. That's cheaper than the postage to mail it back for exchange, and you get a shield that is custom made for you.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-02-2005, 06:07 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

blue dream,

Ain't nothin' wrong with a windshield when you ride 4 or 5 hundred miles a day. I like to get where I'm going and still feel like doing something besides fall in bed.

I rode to Sturgis with a guy that didn't believe in windshields one time. He was pretty beat up, and we didn't even have any rain.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-03-2005, 01:20 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i cant remember who suggested using a die grinder with a cut off wheel, i tried it yesterday with my glide worked perfect. even did it right on the bike. took about 2 minutes to cut it!

Quick Reply: Windshield Help