Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nash Gimps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008 | 08:12 PM
firemedic58
|
Intermediate
Talking Nash Gimps?

Looking at getting a set of Nash Gimps for my 07SB and am not sure which to go with? I have decided to go with 14" but I don't know if I should roll with the midgets or the the regular Gimps? Anyone have have suggestions? Also how was the internal wiring process, and do I need to buy any additional parts, wires, cables, etc? Thanks for help in advance.

Old 12-16-2008 | 08:18 PM
TheeBoy
Tourer

I have had my gimps for over a year. About a month after I had them installed, I saw they came out with "pudgy gimps" and wished I would have been able to get them. All and all I love my bars and would not change them out now. But if I had the choice back then I would have gone with the fatter bars.

That's my take

Old 12-16-2008 | 08:33 PM
rok312
Tourer

I like mine a lot. They are 16in regulars (non-pudgy).

Keep in mind they measure short. So the 14's aren't much taller than the stock Street Bob bars (10.5in).

Wiring the 16s did not require any additional wires or extenders. I went with all new cables/lines, though. I think I went +6 over - they are a tad too long, but good enough. I won't lie to you, it wasn't the easiest mod I've ever done. I took three evenings to do it. First evening, I routed all the wires through the bars (off the bike, inside while watching tv). Second evening, I mounted the bars and hooked them up. Third evening, I hooked up the cables and recharged/bled the brake line. That was my experience, at least.

Routing the wires and un-doing all the wires from the connectors was the hardest part - not really difficult, just time consuming.

If you haven't seen it, see this thread - "My Ape Install". Good stuff.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-install.html

Old 12-16-2008 | 08:59 PM
Dizzzy
Tourer

You can find knock offs for a bit cheaper...not exactly the same design, but cool.

Old 12-16-2008 | 09:10 PM
DYNA JIM
Road Captain

I think the diff between the midget gimps and reg gimps is the measurement of the base.

Old 12-17-2008 | 07:28 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

If you do buy from Nash, buy them "raw" and get them either chromed or powdercoated locally. You'll start collecting social security before you get them from nash....or so I've read on the forum a number of times before.

Old 12-17-2008 | 11:36 AM
firemedic58
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys, anyone else recommend going with the 16" over the 14"? I'm 6' tall and don't want my arms falling asleep all the time. Also if anyone has more pictures with gimps on your bike I'd like to see them, Thanks

Old 12-17-2008 | 12:03 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

get the 16" bars the 14" ones will be shorter than you expect... plan to wait 2-3 months for them.

Old 01-06-2009 | 09:30 PM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

How much longer would the cables need to be for the 14" and where should I get them?

Old 01-06-2009 | 10:46 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pepsimayn
How much longer would the cables need to be for the 14" and where should I get them?
the 14" ones will be only a handlebar width or so over your current mini apes at the grips. you probably can use the stock cables. if anything you will only need to go about 2" longer than stock. can buy oversized cables through the stealer from the drag specialties book. Black cables are very inexpensive too. If you decide to get the 14" ones IMHO I would wait for the bars , get them on the bike and then see if you really do need any extra cable. only takes a few days to get parts from drag.

Quick Reply: Nash Gimps?