Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rake question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rake question

im thinking of putting a set of 3 degree raked triple trees on my bike.. i already have wideglie 2.5 inch over tubes.. will the 3 degree trees kick out the front end to be noticable enough to warrant the exspense? 3 degrees just dosent sound like much.. thanks for your expert opinions in advance!

Attached Thumbnails rake question-side.jpg  
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

3* is a good amount on a rake... I belive that is what Slipstrm runs on his... looks good

Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nah..My front end is an AME kit, Its 14 degree rake (for a total of 43 degrees) Wide Glide with 8 inch over tubes.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
retiznapuerco
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with 3 degree cups instead, they don't change the trail, if you change the trees, they will decresae your trail, completely changin' the way you r bike handles and feels....check this out to start with...

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior

im not really concerned with the trail change, im only considering 3degrees to go with my wideglide 2.5 over tubes.. a wide glide triple tree is raked 2.5 inches , so im only goin .5 inches more.. just curious as to how noticable it will be.. if the exspense would be justified

Old 12-10-2008, 12:17 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slipstrm
Nah..My front end is an AME kit, Its 14 degree rake (for a total of 43 degrees) Wide Glide with 8 inch over tubes.
I have the same AME 14deg with 10 over tubes on my Softail..It's essentually a cheater neck rake..Somebody showed it to me just as I was about to tear my bike down and start choppin on the frame..Figure I would try it just for grins.. Couldn't be more impressed..
3deg in the triple tree's not a big deal.. but if you push it to far, the bike will handle like a dream in town but is subject to killing you at highway speeds..Also consider switching to a 21" front wheel since you have the WG front end..

You will notice it if you do it... Others will, if they have a sharp eye.. At least notice that something looks different..
I did a set a few years ago for a Customer.. added a lowering kit and wide tire kit.. Was a real good look..
my .02
PT

Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 PM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3deg trees on my SB. It doesn't display any odd handling characteristics except that it gets a little skittish at 100mph now instead of 110mph when it was stock. Gives the bike more of a WG stance and overall improves the looks. PastorTom is correct, switching to a 21" front wheel is a must, as the stock 19"er looks too small when going with raked trees.

Attached Thumbnails rake question-sb2.jpg  

Last edited by reded; 12-10-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:15 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you would be happier with a set of 5 degree raked trees. I'm not sure if the 3 degree would be enough to give you the look you're probably after.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:03 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior

it looks a lil choppery right now with the extended tubes. i was just thinking 3 degrees would bring the front out and the bike down a little..

Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you'll lower the bike in front about an inch. The handling will be suspect sooner than without the trees. The extra long tubes actually work negatively with your trail for higher speed stability... If you don't care about stability get the trees, They'll look good.

Quick Reply: rake question