Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Deal on a Street Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008 | 02:30 PM
DeathProof72
|
Road Master
Default Good Deal on a Street Bob?

I am trying to negotiate the best deal on a 2009 Street Bob in Black Denim. The deal I am being offered by one dealer (the only one of the 4 I had visited in the New York Area that was even willing to negotiate) was $500 off the actual MSRP of the bike itself + 10% on the accessories that I purchase at the time I take delivery, + 10% off the cost of parts (not labor) on an exhaust system that I will be buying and having installed at a later date (a Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 (Black) and a stage 1 kit if needed).

Any impressions would be appreciated. I am really good with negotiating deals on cars, but this recent experience with Harley dealers has been confusing for me since I don't really know how much they are really able to flex on pricing and incentives so any input on this subject would be appreciated....

BTW, a question, is a Stage 1 kit really needed when putting this full exhaust on this bike for it to run and start smoothly? Never had a bike with EFI, just carbs which I know had to be rejetted..

Old 12-09-2008 | 02:47 PM
imjdoggie
Tourer

check your PM's

Old 12-09-2008 | 02:49 PM
Dutch110
Tourer

HD is running a promo right now, when you buy a new bike you get $750 in free accessories. Supposedly through the month of December. And this was good for anything in the shop, not just HD accessories. I bought my Fat Bob last week and used it. Maybe not in NY?

I can't speak to the price on the bike. My 09 was a demo with 400 miles on it so I got a pretty good deal IMHO. If you are willing to come down to south central PA I can get you the info of my sales guy. I'm sure he wouldn't mind working up a price for you.

Old 12-09-2008 | 02:53 PM
imjdoggie
Tourer

I also PM'd him my sales guy info here in PA.

Old 12-09-2008 | 05:31 PM
DeathProof72
|
Road Master

I will try giving a call, thanks. I am definitely more set on buying the bike locally because I want an opportunity to closely inspect the machine prior to taking delivery (have had many prev issues with cars so I am real particular about my machine being as perfect as possible if new). Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could counter offer with within reason if my deal here is a bad one?

Old 12-09-2008 | 06:04 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

DeathProof72,

You can "closely inspect" any bike by driving down and seeing it. Don't restrict yourself to the dealers within a short drive from where you live.

Old 12-09-2008 | 06:16 PM
DeathProof72
|
Road Master

I understand that. But I was really hoping for some advise on how hard I should try to negotiate or what, from personal experiences I could expect at this time of year to be the best deal I could expect. I'd also like to try to build a relationship with a local dealer, rather than snub one that I have been trying to work with. This may be important down the road if I ever decide to begin modifying my bike in terms of accessory pricing, etc. Has anyone ever negotiated this particular bike with positive results? I just kind of need some ammunition to come back to them, or another dealer that I have been trying to work with, but had no idea when to ask for as far as a deal is concerned.

Old 12-09-2008 | 06:18 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
I am really good with negotiating deals on cars, but this recent experience with Harley dealers has been confusing for me since I don't really know how much they are really able to flex on pricing and incentives so any input on this subject would be appreciated....
Weirded out that someone may make a profit on you? Scary huh?

Tony
Vice President
<City> Honda, Nissan, Pontiac, GMC, Buick and Kia.

Old 12-09-2008 | 06:30 PM
DeathProof72
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Topspin
Weirded out that someone may make a profit on you? Scary huh?

Tony
Vice President
<City> Honda, Nissan, Pontiac, GMC, Buick and Kia.
That's a real constructive reply. Thanks for taking the time to offer nothing other than a veiled insult towards someone who was just looking for a good deal and some friendly advice from fellow riders to hopefully save a bit of change.

Guess it must be nice to be so rich that you would rather give your money to someone else without questioning it, as opposed to being a bit frugal and saving some.

Then again, in looking closer at your signature, I can see your obvious bias:

"Vice President
<City> Honda, Nissan, Pontiac, GMC, Buick and Kia"

It's that kind of animosity towards educated consumers that give automobile dealerships such a bad rap. Gladly, the ones I have dealt with haven't all subscribed to your ideologies...

Must have really broken your heart when gas prices began to come down as I would imagine someone like you must have simply gushed at the chance to pay more for something on a regular basis. Ahhhh, the blessing of knowing no "fear".... LOL..

Last edited by DeathProof72; 12-09-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2008 | 07:23 PM
imjdoggie
Tourer

DeathProof just like buying cars I'm sure the HD dealer is more likely to give you a better deal towards the end of the month, find out if you are being charged freight/prep cost plus I would negotiate the price of the bike NOT payment and think about getting your own financing IF you are financing the bike or at least know what rate you are able to get through your own Credit Union or whoever you bank with. I would also think about extended warranty and gap insurance and life insurance etc. because you will be asked if you want that stuff also when you purchase the bike. Hope this helps.....

PS: I went into the dealer to look and left with a 09 Street Bob 2 hours later. Just go get the bike and enjoy it and if you think it was a good deal, no worries.................

Last edited by imjdoggie; 12-09-2008 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Good Deal on a Street Bob?