Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Deal on a Street Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008 | 07:13 AM
DeathProof72
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
I wouldn't call 10% on parts much of a discount. You can probably get that with a HOG membership. If you want to save money install your own pipes, HD labor is a little price for a easy job like pipes. Stage 1 isn't a must when adding pipes, but it is recommended. Get a free flowing air cleaner and some sort of tuner. Go check out the tech forum for more info on that.
Yeah, I was thinking the same.... My thought was to try walking in and taking the bike on the floor, but asking for $1500 off the total. Would $2000 be too much to ask do you think? Maybe to ask for $2000, in hopes of seeing $1500, which considering their $995 prep and transport fee, would really only be like $500 off MSRP...

Old 12-10-2008 | 07:54 AM
cnydynarider
Cruiser

My advice is to keep looking at other dealers. The economy is poor, should be a buyer's market even in "harley land". I have a 2009 fxdc ordered (actually it just came in) which carries about the same msrp as a street bob. I got this bike at msrp + 325 frieght + 100 set up. Now the sweet part: I was able to negotiate 20% off any part or accessory at time of purchase, and dealer threw in free labor for installing these parts. I live 4 miles from a dealer that wanted to charge me new msrp for a used fxdc and book value for my trade. I ran out of there fast. Went 2hrs from home and got the above deal and 1700 more for my trade, Hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2008 | 08:12 AM
PaleRearEnd
Banned

1. Get a low % Credit Card
2. Buy off Craigslist locally
3. save $6,000-$10,000

Old 12-10-2008 | 08:18 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm in upstate NY, I bought my bike in Jan. '06. The dealer waved freight and set up and gave me $1000 in store credit. I was happy with the deal, $14,995 out the door plus 1k in additional parts.

Old 12-10-2008 | 09:00 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

Every dealer I have been in lately has the floor jammed with bikes. Shop and you will get a great deal. Dont buy his 10% off parts crap either. Put your own pipes on and the high flow a/c kit. +1 on the tuner. P/M me if you want specific dealers that will save you $. And no I am not a dealer or salesman.....

Old 12-10-2008 | 09:01 AM
HDJaco
Road Captain

A Harley dealer is no different than a car dealer. The best deals roll out the last day of the month. Remember, they have numbers to hit and they will not let a paying customer walk if they can push out one more unit for the month with a reasonable amount of profit. As for the deal, insist on 20% off parts above and beyond whatever HD is offering as a promotion.
#1 - Low ball the hell out of them and remember to ALWAYS have them quote you the "out the door" price. (its easier that way) - The worst thing that can happen to you is to have the dealer accept your 1st offer. (It means you left $$$$ on the table)
#2 - You should be dealing with as many HD dealers as you can, even out of the state via internet. The best negotiating tool is to say, nicely, I would rather buy from you but XYZ dealer is X amount cheaper.
#3 - Be willing to walk if the deal is not what you want. A close friend of mine, who was in the car business for 30 years, gave me some great advice for when buying a new car. His advice was simple. Don't fall in love with a particular car or model. While negotiating always be able to say things like "for the difference in the price I'm leaning to the Honda". If the dealer knows you're only going to buy a Street Bob he has an advantage over you.
These tips have always worked for me. BTW - I also squeezed a free windshield out of my dealer after he gave me his "this is it, I can not go any further". I used the windshield as a leverage to make the $300 he would not budge. It was a good compromise. I get a windshield that would have cost me $300 and he was in his pocket, probably, another $100.

Old 12-10-2008 | 09:14 AM
lolife
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HDJaco
A Harley dealer is no different than a car dealer. The best deals roll out the last day of the month. Remember, they have numbers to hit and they will not let a paying customer walk if they can push out one more unit for the month with a reasonable amount of profit. As for the deal, insist on 20% off parts above and beyond whatever HD is offering as a promotion.
#1 - Low ball the hell out of them and remember to ALWAYS have them quote you the "out the door" price. (its easier that way) - The worst thing that can happen to you is to have the dealer accept your 1st offer. (It means you left $$$$ on the table)
#2 - You should be dealing with as many HD dealers as you can, even out of the state via internet. The best negotiating tool is to say, nicely, I would rather buy from you but XYZ dealer is X amount cheaper.
#3 - Be willing to walk if the deal is not what you want. A close friend of mine, who was in the car business for 30 years, gave me some great advice for when buying a new car. His advice was simple. Don't fall in love with a particular car or model. While negotiating always be able to say things like "for the difference in the price I'm leaning to the Honda". If the dealer knows you're only going to buy a Street Bob he has an advantage over you.
These tips have always worked for me. BTW - I also squeezed a free windshield out of my dealer after he gave me his "this is it, I can not go any further". I used the windshield as a leverage to make the $300 he would not budge. It was a good compromise. I get a windshield that would have cost me $300 and he was in his pocket, probably, another $100.

well said.................. . . .. . . . .. . . .. . .......................

Old 12-10-2008 | 09:24 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior

+1 And these stealerships wonder why everyone hates to deal with them, it's DBag attitudes like that!

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
That's a real constructive reply. Thanks for taking the time to offer nothing other than a veiled insult towards someone who was just looking for a good deal and some friendly advice from fellow riders to hopefully save a bit of change.

Guess it must be nice to be so rich that you would rather give your money to someone else without questioning it, as opposed to being a bit frugal and saving some.

Then again, in looking closer at your signature, I can see your obvious bias:

"Vice President
<City> Honda, Nissan, Pontiac, GMC, Buick and Kia"

It's that kind of animosity towards educated consumers that give automobile dealerships such a bad rap. Gladly, the ones I have dealt with haven't all subscribed to your ideologies...

Must have really broken your heart when gas prices began to come down as I would imagine someone like you must have simply gushed at the chance to pay more for something on a regular basis. Ahhhh, the blessing of knowing no "fear".... LOL..

Old 12-10-2008 | 10:07 AM
Dutch110
Tourer

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Sorry, just that last guy had me on edge a bit. My apologies...
LOL no worries at all. It takes a heck of a lot more then that to offend me.

Old 12-10-2008 | 10:49 AM
512FXDB
Intermediate

When I bought my Street Bob I emailed 10 dealers in Tx to get their best price "out the door". I found out that dealers charge different price for shipping ($299 to $699) and prep ($199 to $999), so MSRP means different thing to different people... Once you can compare apples to apples, take your lowest offer to the closer dealerships and see if they can match or beat it. Dealerships that are not in your area will typically get you a lower price, as they want to "steal" your business from the local one. The end of the month is definatly the best time to squeeze some out of them. Also as posted earlier try to arange financing before hand with your bank/ credit union, and see if the dealer can match the rate.
Good luck.
Em

Quick Reply: Good Deal on a Street Bob?