Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem finding ape hangers for '08 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008 | 08:18 AM
sofus
|
Cruiser
Default Problem finding ape hangers for '08 Street Bob

Hi, I have problems finding pre-drilled ape hangers with 14 (or maybe 16) inch rise for my '08 Street Bob. My bike has integrated risers and the problem is finding apes that will clear the fork caps.

I really like the Wild1 Chubbies that are 1.25 inch thick, but they seems to be quite wide and I'm afraid there might be a clearance problem.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Last edited by sofus; 12-09-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-09-2008 | 08:35 AM
vladt
Cruiser

The nash mc 14" gimps where also touching the fork caps on my 08 street bob.
I've dropped the forks down few mm's and fitted apes without any issues.
Hasn't affected my handling either.

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:08 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

The only thing I see from reading your post is that you'll need to buy risers in addition to the bars and cables. You may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. I know there are mfgs that build apes with integrated risers. I've seen 'em in jpcycles...I think ness and bully make them. I'd just buy a set of risers and move on. I am using the stock 2" risers on my wg and there is no clearance problem at all.

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:17 AM
K9pusher
Tourer

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
The only thing I see from reading your post is that you'll need to buy risers in addition to the bars and cables. You may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. I know there are mfgs that build apes with integrated risers. I've seen 'em in jpcycles...I think ness and bully make them. I'd just buy a set of risers and move on. I am using the stock 2" risers on my wg and there is no clearance problem at all.
Not quite that easy with the '08-'09 Street Bob's. Harley in their infinite wisdom integrated the risers into the upper triple tree. If were to use risers he would need a new upper triple tree. The stealership charges about $350 for this piece.

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:20 AM
sofus
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Thanks for replying.
First of all I like to say I'm sorry for my poor English. I'm a norwegian.

The risers are integrated in the triple tree. There is no way to change the risers without changing the triple tree. Alt least no easy way.

As mentioned I really like the Wild1 ape hangers, but in the pictures I've seen they seems to be wider at the bottom than the stock HD bars, and with 1.25 inch thickness I'm pretty sure they won't get celar of the fork caps.

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:23 AM
tweakin
Road Master

I was told be Wild 1 that there Apes will fit 08-09 street bobs with integrated riser. I emailed them, you might want to do the same if you like the bars

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:26 AM
anubisss
Banned

Just slide the forks down in the trees as someone else mentioned...Simple solution.

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:46 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Then I stand corrected. Are the risers too short and cause clearance issues?

Old 12-09-2008 | 09:57 AM
BluBob
Road Warrior

I have wild ones. No way your forks should protrude enough to his those bars, unless the integrated risers are a lot shorter than the 07's.

Old 12-09-2008 | 10:01 AM
sofus
|
Cruiser

SC-Longhair
Yes, the risers are, or may be, to short. They cannot be changed out with taller without changing the upper triple treee.

vladt and anubisss
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by sliding down the forks. Well I understand in a way, but I can't see how that would help since I guess they must be slided up again.

tweakin
Thanks. I'll email them and ask. Actually, I wish I could find apes that are a little narrower in the bottom. More like the stock HD mini-apes, but overall the Wild1's seems to be quite nice.

Quick Reply: Problem finding ape hangers for '08 Street Bob