Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob scraping sound problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:43 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mine scraping my pegs. What really hurt was the day I scraped my primary. Now that sucks. Also the day I scraped my Bassani pipe. Now I take it easy in tight turns. My pipe was to expensive to be scraping it up.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sickwithit
I don't mine scraping my pegs. What really hurt was the day I scraped my primary. Now that sucks. Also the day I scraped my Bassani pipe. Now I take it easy in tight turns. My pipe was to expensive to be scraping it up.
Not to mention scraping up your Vans sneakers!!!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:48 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmikaele
GOOD GOD ackman, how much lean do you have to have to scrape the primary, without laying it down??? On a Dyna to boot...
The primary was a low speed hard left to get out of they way when a car behind me looked like they weren't going to stop. Thought for sure it was going to get real ugly. I stopped pushing so hard after that.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:53 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devils haircut
Not to mention scraping up your Vans sneakers!!!

I guess that must be why I ware them out so fast.

Last edited by sickwithit; 12-09-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang you dyna guys.. I can certainly say I never got anywhere close to that in a lean in the old fatboy.. (of course).. 1st day out when it was new I did skin up the floorboards real good though.. That was good for a laugh when we stopped. Friend said "I looked back at you and all I saw was sparks and heard a big ccccccchhhhhhhh!" Didn't take long to realize how well the TC88 softails handled. My old 90 heritage wasn't that bad.

I'm getting itchy for a street or super though so I can go play. Ain't gonna happen in this economy for sure.

On rear shock height, I'm learning so tell me if I'm wrong..
The Streetbob and Fatbob are setup with lower shocks??
And the Superglide is setup "normal" height?
Sorry I'm not even looking at the SG custom or low-rider, but I assume the LR is setup low like the FBob.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 PM
dyna mo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice work all around! what did ya pay for those 440s?

Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Babs
Dang you dyna guys.. I can certainly say I never got anywhere close to that in a lean in the old fatboy.. (of course).. 1st day out when it was new I did skin up the floorboards real good though.. That was good for a laugh when we stopped. Friend said "I looked back at you and all I saw was sparks and heard a big ccccccchhhhhhhh!" Didn't take long to realize how well the TC88 softails handled. My old 90 heritage wasn't that bad.

I'm getting itchy for a street or super though so I can go play. Ain't gonna happen in this economy for sure.

On rear shock height, I'm learning so tell me if I'm wrong..
The Streetbob and Fatbob are setup with lower shocks??
And the Superglide is setup "normal" height?
Sorry I'm not even looking at the SG custom or low-rider, but I assume the LR is setup low like the FBob.
I dont know what "normal" is supposed to be. The bracket under the mufflers is almost gone, but I have bailing wire in the tool bag just in case.
Got a nasty grind mark in the primary, but I have patching compound in the tool bag. Did I mention I'm on my 3rd set of mid pegs on an 08?
Guess thats about as normal as a SG gets

Old 12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna mo
nice work all around! what did ya pay for those 440s?
They retailed for $572. North Texas Harley had some "customer appreciation" bucks in honor of my recent Fat Bob purchase, so they cost me $84 and the short time it took me to remove/replace the originals.

I don't know the length of other family HD shocks, I just measured some of the other '09 Dynas in the showroom.

Last edited by Centerline; 12-09-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: price correction
Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
dyna mo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty sweet deal eh.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:16 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by devils haircut
I wonder how much of it boils down to "leaning technique". I used to scrape all the time, but then got a little coaching from some sport riders. I find that if I am hanging off the side of the seat and looking around the bars with my oposite knee locked against the tank, I can still turn sharply without having to lean the bike over as far. I should note, however, that mid controls are a must for riding like this. At least for me. (I still miss how cool I looked with forwards though.)

THIS IS A HUGE +1... alot of scraping has to do more wiht you body possition on the bike while you are turning... you should try to stay high on the bike to keep you weight over the center of the bike durring a power turn... push on the bars as you do this to get a strait line... (from the little sessions i have has on the track with rockets) but it does help you to come out of your turn and on a bike with good sport suspension you will actually feel the bike lift you up out of the turn, this makes it easier for you to lay into the next one... fork braces and stearing dampers REALLY help this!!!!

Quick Reply: Fat Bob scraping sound problem