Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter is here so apart it comes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Update,
Well I ordered a new fuel tank and a 06 softail rear bobbed fender. Want more curve from the rear fender and the softails have it. But I have to modify the fender to fit. We will see how that goes, so far looking good. Ordered a used fuel tank too since low priced and why not have all the original tins stay original.
Turns out since the triple trees have no offset to them they hit the tank with my stops set where they are. I have another setting to limit steer but it limits more then I want. So I have ground the rear tank mount holes forward to slide the tank back roughly a inch. I will cut the front mounts off and reweld in correct location.
Not much new with the springer, it is done and looks as you see above. Not much will change there till I mount the front fender.

I cut just shy of 1" from the middle of the fender. Then quickly fabbed a jig 9" wide to hold the two pieces firmly in place for welding together. I have a 1" metal strip I formed to match the fender that adds strength to the rewelded fender. Hopefully this turns out, is my first attempt at this. Here are the pics.

Attached Thumbnails Winter is here so apart it comes-1-cut-fender-resized.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-2-cut-fender-showing-strip-resized.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-3-jig-resized.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-4-fender-in-jig-resized.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-5-fender-in-jig-2-resized.jpg  

Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM
man4mopar
Road Master

Here are the rest. Welding isn't finished since my hood decided not to darken when welding. More to come when progress is visual.

Attached Thumbnails Winter is here so apart it comes-6-steel-strip-shaped-for-tail-end-resized.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-7-strip-at-end-of-fender-resized.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-8-fender-with-strip-preweld-resized.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-9-beginning-of-weld-resized.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-10-strip-from-underside-resized.jpg  

Old 01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Not bad!!! Good start on the fender cant wait to see it finished.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Muddyape
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking great....winter is the worst/best thing to ever happen to my bike

Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 AM
man4mopar
Road Master

Progress halted when snow hit here in MN. Snowmobile kind of took over my free time. Snow is gone on the trails now so been back to work.
Below are pictures of the bracket fabricated to hold the new tail lamp and license plate assembly I got off e-bay. The lamp assembly was reasonably priced to gamble with the fit. I think it turned out well fit wise.

Attached Thumbnails Winter is here so apart it comes-bracket.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-bottom-fender-with-tail-light-mount.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-light-bracket.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-rear-tail-light-and-plate.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-rear-tail-light.jpg  

Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
man4mopar
Road Master

For the placement of the fender I wanted only 1 set of holes was in the correct spot. So I welded the rest up and ground and sanded flush and drilled the rest of the needed holes.
My method and there may be better methods was to weld a bead on one edge then welded the inside edge till hole was closed. I did this one bead at a time to keep the heat and distortion from it down. Below are pics of the weld start, finish, ground and sanded down and then mounted on bike.

Attached Thumbnails Winter is here so apart it comes-weld-beginning-of-hole.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-welded-hole.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-inside-fender-holes-gone.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-rear-fender-old-holes-gone.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-rear-mounted.jpg  

Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

Looks good!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 AM
man4mopar
Road Master

Below are pictures of the fender mounted at side and rear angles. Deciding were to mount the rear fender I used the C&C seat I used on the OE fender when no gaps were seen and I liked the lines that was were it was drilled for mount holes. I also drilled for the seat nut, I welded it into place, even though that insert is not steel it welds just need to be extra carefull and bring weld to it and not start on it.

Attached Thumbnails Winter is here so apart it comes-rear-mounted-close-up.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-rear-mounted-side-view.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-full-side-view-rear-mounted.jpg  

Last edited by man4mopar; 02-16-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:16 AM
man4mopar
Road Master

Since the trees on the springer front end has no offset and is a wide set of trees it hits the fuel tank on full turn. I had another set of steer stops but it limited it more then my taste. So I cut off the tank mount tabs on front and oval cut the rear tabs to move the tank back about a 1/2 ". I then fabricated new front tabs for the desired tank location and rise and welded in place. This is were I am at in the project now. Tins got to get painted tomorrow. And I have other tasks to complete while waiting such as front brake hose routing etc. Any questions please ask. Hope you find some value is any of this postings.

Attached Thumbnails Winter is here so apart it comes-fuel-tank-with-tabs-cut.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-rear-tab-oval.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-new-fabbed-tabs-fuel-tank.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-side-view-tank-and-fender-mounted.jpg   Winter is here so apart it comes-fuel-tank-rear-mounted.jpg  

Old 02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

Now thats the way the rear fenders should have looked right out of the factory.......great work mopar!!

Quick Reply: Winter is here so apart it comes