Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffing

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:32 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when I dont want to feel much wind I ride my electric glide, however fork mounted lowers and a tall enough wshield to look through will take care of most all wind issues.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:54 AM
quinton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a sporster with a HD sport quick change shield.i have moved it up and down and at different angels and seems to make no difference.it is now at about level with my nose andit still beats hell out of my head and neck at highway speeds.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:14 AM
harleridr
Cruiser
Default windshields and wind in the face

While riding at speed, take your feet off the pegs and raise them to the top of slidders notice the difference. that is why HD sells those little wind deflectors that mount under the windshields and the little oval one under the triple trees
grump.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:44 PM
roberttroll
Advanced

Either your windshield is too low, or it is not not tall enough.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:00 PM
gmc1999
Cruiser

How to choose the best windshield height for you.
The yardstick method below gives the correct answer, including adjustments for your riding posture, handlebar height, seat height, etc. The table below is only approximate. To use the table, get a size estimate from the table using your height and pants leg length. If you're between sizes, use the larger size if you live in a colder climate, or the smaller size if you live in a warmer climate. People in Florida or Houston need somewhat shorter windshields, people in Seattle or Juneau need taller windshields. Both the yardstick method and the table are for people who want to look over the windshield. If you want to look through the windshield, add about 3" to your windshield height. Of course the quietest possible ride is when you're looking through the windshield, but only about 1% of our customers are interested in looking through a windshield.

Younger guys (under 35) typically want about an inch or two shorter windshield to get a sportier feel. Older guys (over 45) typically want a more quiet and comfortable ride and prefer about an inch taller shield.

If you want coverage for your body up to your shoulders, but your head in undisturbed full-speed air, then your windshield's top edge should visually hit the ground about 10' - 12' (3 - 4 meters) in front of the front tire contact patch.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...ng.html#Height

Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be interesting to try riding with a full face helmet and no windshield......just to see if it's the windshield's shape itself that contributes to the buffetting....the vortex it creates. Someone on a prior thread mentioned a wind tunnel test with the smoke.....but you'd have to put a rider on it as well.....because the arms and legs of a rider do contribute to the redistribution and disruption of the wind. My Husband rides a Heritage....and has absolutely NO wind buffetting at any speeds. Does a fatter front tire and wider front fender......plus the solid plate below the headlights ( look at a Heritage front forks set up) cause the wind to deflect??? I have a pouch on the inside of the windshield too, and after I raised mine up a little, and took my "REACH SEAT" off causing me to sit LOWER and BACK from the tank further, that helped quite a bit.
Like I mentioned, I'm getting the Touring windshield ...wider & taller, so I'll report back after the snow melts as to what I experience. I'm going to try them with and without the pouch, and with and without a full face helmet.
I think it's a combination of factors. Anyone notice how your LEFT MIRROR is practically USELESS for viewing out of at 50+ mph because of vibrations , but the RIGHT SIDE is almost steady & clear??? ANOTHER MYSTERY.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:19 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GMC1999......great link!!! Tons of useful info. Thanks for passing it along. My problem is they dont list a person who's 5' 2" with a 26" inseam.....but maybe since more and more gals are bike owners and riders these days, they'll have a chart made for our body types.
Again, that was a great link. Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

Well yesterday I tried out placing a tool bag just underneath my headlight and it eliminated most of my buffeting. I have an HD quick release shield and I was just about to sell the damn thing and just wear a full face when the weather called for it, but I'm glad I tried this out.

I've seen dented fenders from tool bags before so I guess I'll just have to look out for those potholes now....

Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WildBillAce2
I've seen dented fenders from tool bags before so I guess I'll just have to look out for those potholes now....
Glad the toolbag worked for you WildBillAce2, maybe that is one reason I've never had much buffeting at all because it was on there before I bought my shield.

I will tell you I don't carry any tools in my bag though, just registration/insurance papers in a ziplok bag and my riding goggles and presc. glasses and a pack of smokes. Not a dent or wear mark in 18K.

Cheers!

Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Speedster221
Intermediate

Blade,

I believe that part was originally designed to help keep the rain off riders' legs, but then they found it also helped with the "cold night wind rushing between the fork tubes." Later, thermal management engineers found that it also helped deflect more air directly to the engine and helped out with cooling a bit. I've actually run a full bike in the wind tunnel to do some flow visualization over this baffle, and it actually does make a significant difference. To this day, I'm not quite sure why they took it off later models...