Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffing

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:25 PM
taylormade
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
A very annoying sensation from turbulent wind coming off a windshield or fairing. I heard it best described as the feeling that someone is whacking your helmet with a tackhammer. Makes your head bobble around, blurs your vision, etc. If you've got it, you'd know it, it's annoying as hell.
Thanks. I understand.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Don51
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the HD detachable windshield and what I did was put a leather fork pouch under the headlight. That seemed to help quite alot. In addition to the leather fork pouch I also tried stuffing a sweatshirt inside the windshield, just above the head light and then I didn't really feel any buffeting all. I think I'll buy another leather pouch of somekind and replace the sweatshirt though!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:50 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm getting a larger headlight.....the 5 3/4" which shoud fill up that hole around the base of the windshield. I also have a bag there. I'm ordering the Detatch Touring model for mine. It's higher and wider. I also agree that when I put my stock seat back on, I sat further back and lower, and the buffetting stopped. The Detatchable's can be adjusted not only up and down on your fork, but there are screws on the sides that allow for forward or back movement...... reducing the vertical. I adjusted mine so I could just see over the top of it..... so that the top of the shield was parallel with the bridge of my nose. That also helped quite a bit. I wear a half helmet and prescription glasses. No face shield for the wind to roll under and jerk around. Sure, If I go past a truck, you're going to get some effects, but my head isn't bobbing all around anymore. I just wanted the larger windshield to redirect rain and debris from my hands....

Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 PM
79lowrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i wear a half helmet if i wear a helmet that is and the windshield stops all the wind from pullin my head back however my sunglasses kinda bounce up and down and like i said if i am wearing a face bandana it blows up in my eyes

Old 12-05-2008, 12:48 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the posters above mentioned the Windvest. I've run one for about fourty thousand miles and it works well for me. It takes the big blast off the chest so you can ride for hours at seventy,eighty even ninety miles per hour.

When I first got the shield the buffeting was bad until I adjusted the height and the angle of the shield. The angle was critical,best I can remember the best angle was to alighn with the flow of the forks and then tilt the top forward about an inch. Later I added a small bag at the base of the shield which helped a lot,but the best thing was a tank lift. Most of the turbulance is coming from below and the lift seems to direct the airflow down over the engine instead of up into your face. After the tank lift the angle of the shield was not nearly as critical.

When I first got the windshield I intended to only use it on road trips now I never take it off. Another big plus is that the wind noise in you ears is considerably reduced. I still use earplugs if I'm gonna be running six or seven hundred miles in a day but on shorter trips I seldom bother.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 12-05-2008, 04:46 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Lwos I do have the detachable touring on mine with the larger headlight and windsheild bag. I don't get any but normal buffeting as its pretty windy in Texas.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:55 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Touring Windshield.

Hi,Lowas.Hope i'm allowed to post this!!,i'm going to put a Detachable Touring Shield on Ebay,if you're interested pm me.It was new on my bike August 07,I did about 3.K miles,& it's pretty much like new.I'm selling it because I hate riding with it.
Cheers,Brit.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper77
That is pretty neat ord sgt, I never considered the wind coming from below the trees like that. Does it do a job on the updraft?

I think you should put some paint on it though if you intend to leave it on there, it's looking a bit rusty from the pics.

Try this while riding in a safe area.....hold one arm across your chest and feel how much less wind that you feel over your upper body. Then lower your arm back to the handlebars. You will feel a difference.
The copper color is under the chrome, not rust. But yes, I should try to somehow cover the copper.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ord sgt
Try this while riding in a safe area.....hold one arm across your chest and feel how much less wind that you feel over your upper body. Then lower your arm back to the handlebars. You will feel a difference.
The copper color is under the chrome, not rust. But yes, I should try to somehow cover the copper.
Oh I know about the updraft, I just didn't consider that small piece under the triple trees would do much to slow it down. Good for you and good for us for a new part to buy/fab

Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

I can't take credit for the idea......just passing it along.

Quick Reply: Wind Buffing