Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Fat Bob Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for Fat Bob Owners

I seriously want to get rid of my stock license plate holder off the back of my fender. I plan on mounting a side-mount license plate on the swingarm but I think I need a tail light solution as well. I just removed the tail light lens to find out the lens actually bolts directly to the license plate holder (all one assembly)

I know I have seen pics of guys with either stock tail light lenses or flush mounted LED lights on the rear. What is the solution here? I don't really mind the stock tail light for now but I can't stand the license plate holder part. I could just hack that off but I can't think of a way to cut that off and make it look nice.

Any advice?? Either a replacement light kit with no license plate holder OR a good way to cut that part off and make it look nice. I know some of you guys are great with ideas like this.

Thanks

Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it kinda crude, killed 2 dirty birds with a dirtier stone...

Last edited by benwiggin2; 11-26-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Lorance66
Road Master

Here is what it looks like stock (thumbnails attached)

Attached Thumbnails Question for Fat Bob Owners-dsc_1381_2.jpg   Question for Fat Bob Owners-dsc_1382_2.jpg  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Lorance66
Road Master

Benwiggin, I have been eye-ing up your bike for a while and although I like how you did that, I really want to keep a tail light there. I appreciate the input either way man......thank you.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Lorance66
Road Master

Also, for those of you who have installed the HD "Tri-Bar" tail light on your Fat Bob, is the reflector and license plate holder removable? That would be a solution if so.

thanks again.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Los11
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorance66
Also, for those of you who have installed the HD "Tri-Bar" tail light on your Fat Bob, is the reflector and license plate holder removable? That would be a solution if so.

thanks again.

Yeah you can remove the licens plate from the tri bar a few guys on here run it with out the plate. Thats what I plan to do and just use a ebay special plate holder for the shock bolt or axle bolt. Also you can do what I might do for option 2 which is just take the whole stock assembly out and dremel it so you only leave the tailight cause I have that led flush tailight I like the light I just hate the huge stock plate holder so I am just gonna bring out the trusty saw hack it off and clean it up with the dremel..

Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 AM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The license plate bracket is separate from the tail light in the tri-bar LED kit. You could run the tri-bar LED with a side license mount. I forget whose bike this is, but it sounds like your looking for a setup like this.

Attached Thumbnails Question for Fat Bob Owners-fatbob31.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 AM
smt172
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky,

Bike looks great..... Exactly what parts did you get for the side plate setup. Where did you buy them? Having trouble finding a setup that fits Fat Bob.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

Originally Posted by luckyB
The license plate bracket is separate from the tail light in the tri-bar LED kit. You could run the tri-bar LED with a side license mount. I forget whose bike this is, but it sounds like your looking for a setup like this.
Ahh thank you that is great news. I just might go this route. Also, I thought about just hacking off my license plate portion from the stock setup as well I am just really scared it will look bad but I suppose I could do like was said and break out the old dremel and dress it up with a sanding drum.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

Originally Posted by smt172
Lucky,

Bike looks great..... Exactly what parts did you get for the side plate setup. Where did you buy them? Having trouble finding a setup that fits Fat Bob.

Thanks
I am having the same problems, this is actually part 2 of the taillight/plate problem. I want a side mount set up that bolts to the swing arm. What scares me is the ones listed for Dynas that bolt to the swing arm, like Kuryakyn for example, only list up to 2005 model bikes. One other guy on here told me if it was for a 2005 it would still fit my 2009 and I do believe him, however every pic I see shows a ROUND swing arm mount, even for Dynas and I obviously need rectangular. I guess I will just have to call Kuryakyn.

If you figure it out, PLEASE PM me or something.

thanks

Quick Reply: Question for Fat Bob Owners