Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SB extreme slippery

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:30 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

tire shine? firestone tires are dangerous? diesel fuel not water spot? other factors not being told here?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Eddie4Harley
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stick with the original Dunlop tire.
I was a motorcycle mechanic for years, I've learned in the past time, that you better stick with what the factory advised, no matter what kind of motorcycle you have.
They have done very much tests and research for this kind of problems to get the users a save ride.

But then again: Who want's to be pretty, has to suffer!
Good that you came out pretty allright.............

Old 11-25-2008, 03:08 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,293 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by joe.1955
Are you sure the wet spot was only water?

Could have had anti-freeze or oil in it, and that can drop you without warning.
Yea, I was thinkin' the same thing...

Old 11-25-2008, 08:45 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SecretAgent
no it doesn't. the exact same physics apply to car tires. the wider the tire, the more water it must displace to stay in contact with the road.
Depends on the tread pattern mr. absolute. If the tread pattern is not designed well to channel water out from under the tire, it will hydroplane.

.... and until the guy responds back to the questions we have, we can hash this out for days.....

Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 PM
sata6
Cruiser

Combination of new tire and wet roads. New tires have a release agent still on them from the factory, and should be riden with cation the first couple of hundred miles, and roads are the most slippery the first few minutes untill the road grim is washed away. Also if you are freaked out and tense about wet roads you will go down, don,t worry, relax you will have more grip than you thought.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

taht is also a great point!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 AM
Bill-FXDF
Advanced
Angry Big Fat Tires are good on wet streets.

I have stock tires on my Fat Bob and just over 1,000 miles. I have never had any problem with wet streets with this bike. I have in the past (over 40 years of riding) and some times the least little thing on the road, a little oil, anti freeze, etc, when mixed with water can be real bad news. The bikes rear end can go right out from under you, as if you were on wet ice ! Glad to hear you were not seriously injured and that your bike can be repaired ! Some time it is just a case of live and learn ...... ;-(

Old 11-26-2008, 01:45 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Depends on the tread pattern mr. absolute. If the tread pattern is not designed well to channel water out from under the tire, it will hydroplane.
Well, yes, it somewhat depends on the tread pattern, but the bottom line is, a wider tire will hydroplane more readily than a narrower tire.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:13 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude,

Something waaaaayyy f'd up with this scenario you describe.

My Bob used to get a bit loose in the caboose when darting off fast out of a side street, but after replacing the 'flops for Metzelers, she handles, corners, and sticks to the ground like a formula 1 racecar. Seriously, the handling is like a totally different bike between those 2 sets of tires. Never heard anyone comment on or even own Firestones on the SB. But still....did you happen to experience an arm spasm just as you hit the puddle?

Happy T-day everyone

Old 11-26-2008, 07:51 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds a little weird to me. He fell on wet asphalt, banged up the stock mufflers, and the "left" grip. The exhaust is on the right side of the bike. Unless this was a violent crash, how would both sides of the bike get damage ? He said it was nothing more than a pain pill couldn't fix, so it couldn't have been too bad of a crash. Also, never heard of a new Harley with Firestone tires. No reply from the this guy and going on 4 pages now. Me thinks we have a troll.

Quick Reply: SB extreme slippery