Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapped Thunderheaders

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:17 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wrapped Thunderheaders *PICS ADDED*

Anybody had any problems with the tape causing the pipes to crack? I'm debating between wrap or heat shields...just don't want to do something that'll damage my investment.

*PHOTOS ADDED*

Last edited by rockon; 12-29-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the wrap will be fine... do not buy the SE harley wrap. Get some DEI from auto parts store. Thicker better stuff and you get twice as much for less money than SE.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:53 PM
JayWideglide
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have/had a wrapped thunder header on my 01 DWG with no problems other than draging the pipe on the ground durring a moderate righthand turn.

That's why i changed pipes.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:11 AM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrap works great, just soak the wrap before you you do the job!

Old 11-23-2008, 06:54 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had mine wrapped for a couple years then re wrapped them I did see some rust but no cracking.The Thunderheader will drag just below the foot peg there are a couple solutions; either fabricate some kind of skid plate to cover the part that hits the ground or stop wrapping before you get there.In my sig pic you'll see the latter I'll see if I can't link you to a pic of my old home made skid plate here....
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...dplate1001.jpg

Old 11-23-2008, 10:19 AM
sickwithit
Road Captain

I have wrapped my Nova's header's and the old pipes that I had on my bike. Never had a problem. I would spray the part with some High heat paint before I wrap them. The VHT flame proof paint has worked the best for me so far. And if you are using black wraps I would spray the pipes after you wrapped them. That way they stay black longer.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:21 PM
WDR
Cruiser

I bought 100 feet of black wrap for $50 shipped from Thermal Wrap. It was the best deal I could find, and is as good of quality as the wrap I bought from Summit. 100 feet is enough wrap for 2-3 sets of pipes, so Im good for awhile.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Less talk. More pics.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
I had mine wrapped for a couple years then re wrapped them I did see some rust but no cracking.The Thunderheader will drag just below the foot peg there are a couple solutions; either fabricate some kind of skid plate to cover the part that hits the ground or stop wrapping before you get there.In my sig pic you'll see the latter I'll see if I can't link you to a pic of my old home made skid plate here....
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...dplate1001.jpg
As I recall, with your first wrap job, you said you wrapped the front header all the way to the middle of the pipe, then reversed and went up the rear header...right? I'm trying to figure out how I'd approach it...they're still at the sandblaster, haven't even painted them or bought wrap yet.

I'm trying to tell how you did it looking at this pic...can't tell for sure.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...rstpics001.jpg

Last edited by mud; 11-24-2008 at 07:15 AM. Reason: link to oversized picture
Old 11-24-2008, 07:01 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure I started with the rear pipe wrapped past the collector to where the muffler starts and turned around and went back up the front.I used 1 50ft roll and overlapped 1/2 of the tape each turn.In retrospect I think a tighter wrap is better for looks and insulation and if I knew I could have got a 100ft roll for $50 I'd go that route and overlap 3/4 of the tape.The biggest challenge is keeping it tight all the way down that rear pipe the first time I ended up doing it twice because I picked up some wrinkles in the middle I didn't like the looks of.Here's a better shot of my current wrap job this is a 3/4 overlap it took 1 50ft roll to do just the headers.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...clepics051.jpg

Quick Reply: Wrapped Thunderheaders