Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapped Thunderheaders

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:20 PM
imjdoggie
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

please post pics when you are done, i'm dying to see how this turns out.......

Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by imjdoggie
please post pics when you are done, i'm dying to see how this turns out.......
You bet. I just finished wrapping them tonight...I'll post pics once they're on the bike.

I've seen my fair share of delays with this project, some from circumstance and some from me screwing up and learning as I go...I'm hoping this turns out well. I'll probably be finished on Tuesday.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, the 50 ft. roll was just barely enough for me. I didn't quite get to wrap it as thick as I wanted too, but it was more for looks rather then keeping the heat away, as I also have the heat shields on. Can't wait to see the finished product man. Did you ever figure out how to get them pipes on the bike or what?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Yeah, the 50 ft. roll was just barely enough for me. I didn't quite get to wrap it as thick as I wanted too, but it was more for looks rather then keeping the heat away, as I also have the heat shields on. Can't wait to see the finished product man. Did you ever figure out how to get them pipes on the bike or what?
Well, I've had stuff coming to me in bits and pieces...for example I'm still waiting on the sealant spray paint for the wrap itself. This past week, I was waiting on clamps to arrive from McMaster, so since I couldn't wrap I at least wanted to bake the paint properly. But when I tried to get them back off to make an adjustment to the rear clamp, the flange nuts started stripping. So trying to get those off became a big shenanigan...blah, blah, blah. Needless to say I got them off without baking, did some touch-up, finally wrapped last night, and am ready to install them once I've treated the wrap.

I tell ya what though...installing that transmission mounting bracket is a serious pain in the @$$. I was ready to jump up and down and break **** when I removed the clutch cover and oil started spilling everywhere. This was about 1AM on Tuesday. So topping off oil and spraying the wrap should be it...then I'll finally be able to enjoy these pipes. Doing it yourself can be a big pain sometimes, but you feel so much more gratified with the final product once you're done.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

Hahahahah!! Holy **** man. Sounds like you've had quite a good time over there buddy!! LMAO. Well, I definitely can't wait to see it man. It'll be worth it in the end brotha!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

FINALLY DONE!!! I swear this has been the most frustrating project I've undertaken in a long time...everything from issues involving the wrap, paint, stripped header nuts, the rear-header transmission clamp not fitting because of the wrap, etc.....but finally on, and they sound outstanding!!!!

Pics will be up tomorrow....it's dark outside and absolutely frigid.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member

WOO HOO!!!!! Finally man.. hurry up and get them damn pics up!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

very nice man!!! how did you tune it?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Okay, so I've been promising photos for a while now...the pipes went on the bike two days ago, and I've gotten home after dark the last two days. Sucks, cuz it's been overcast...great for taking pictures. So I said f$%^ it, and took some in my crap garage...some of these were with flash only, so the pic might be off center (can't see in the dark!) and some were with the useless overhead fluorescent lighting. Could't really get a good exposure either way. Oh, and that isn't some kinda crap smeared on the tank and A/C cover...when I lifted the garage door the humidity/temperature change fogged it all up...it rained this evening.

I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow...should be getting off work early...just wanted to make sure I got something up...I hate being a deadbeat. Oh, there's a video in there too...of course my digicam doesn't do the sound justice.

Joe, I haven't tuned it yet...right now it's just the XIEDs. On the test ride it did fine, no popping or anything, but I don't intend to leave it that way...Thundermax is in the works, eventually.

Hope you guys like what I've done with it so far.

Last edited by rockon; 12-29-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:19 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great!
glad you got it done

Quick Reply: Wrapped Thunderheaders