Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil levels

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 04:28 PM
ggibson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool oil levels

After some discussion on oil levels decided to check mine when cold and then hot. Level at cold indicated oil was at the hot level line...damn the dealer has overfilled it....anyway checked it hot and the level was exactly the same ie at the correct hot level line..doesnt make any sense to me... I checked it the same both times ie on sidstand and removed dipstick wiped it clean and screwed it back in as the manual states....so WTF ?

Old 11-22-2008, 04:52 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

I've done the same thing. Checked it cold and then again about 15 minutes after a 4 hour ride. No difference. That check only when hot is a bunch of crap.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Mr E
Tourer

I'm with Blaster

Old 11-22-2008, 06:54 PM
riverman
Cruiser

I don't think it is hot and cold so much. I think when the bike is sitting gravity pulls oil out of the tank and down into the case. I think in order to get a good check on the level, you have to run the engine a bit to pump the oil up out of the case and into the tank. If you top the tank when there is a bunch of oil in the case, when the pump comes up to pressure the tank will be over full.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:40 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaster
That check only when hot is a bunch of crap.
my oil differs.. cold it is halfway between add and full. hot it is full.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:06 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by riverman
I don't think it is hot and cold so much. I think when the bike is sitting gravity pulls oil out of the tank and down into the case. I think in order to get a good check on the level, you have to run the engine a bit to pump the oil up out of the case and into the tank. If you top the tank when there is a bunch of oil in the case, when the pump comes up to pressure the tank will be over full.
ya... no. Not on the Dyna. The softtail maybe. The Dyna's oil tank is under the transmission. (below the crank) Gravity won't start a syphon for you. Besides, there's not a lot of room for oil in the crankcase on the engine. It's pretty much a dry sump system - there's two scavenge lobes on the oil pump that scavenge oil from cam area and crank area. The sump in the crank area is only about 3/8" deep.

I'll continue to check my oil according to the manual. You may do as your knowledge directs you to do.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaster
I've done the same thing. Checked it cold and then again about 15 minutes after a 4 hour ride. No difference. That check only when hot is a bunch of crap.
I always check when very hot. The cold check shows differently but not by much. But I check it 4-5 minutes after riding.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 AM
rocklayer2
Road Captain

Harley

Old 11-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil level is not an exact science down to the drop. But, I'd rather have a bit less than a lot more.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:22 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the hot check procedure outlined in my service manual suggests after longer ride(over 20 miles) let idle for 2 minutes then check fluid. When my bike is hot but not fully hot(maybe a 5 min, ride) the oil level appears the same as cold almost.

Quick Reply: oil levels