Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand grips

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Silverglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hand grips

I used a heat gun on my left grip to soften the adhesive. Worked great. A hairdryer should do the same..

Old 04-08-2006, 03:42 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hand grips

Not too difficult, just takes some time to get the throttle cables reconnected. I spent thirty minutes looking for one of those brass ferrules and found it in the switch housing. Had to cut the original off the left side. New grip held in place with set screws. Overall money well spent.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:43 AM
trat73
3rd Gear
Default Hand Grips

Just switched out my grips on a 2001 Superglide. The set I took off and the ones I put on were the Harley "glueless" variety and it couldn't have been easier. Those little brass pieces on the throttle side are easily dropped and lost so be carefull.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Grunter
Advanced

Ditto with the ferrules! Did mine right off the bat. Its kind of a pain but takes no time at all. Cut em off and get to work. I went with the new "Hog" grip. Feels just right in my hand and looks great with the chrome housing kit.

Dave

Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 AM
Ashes95
Advanced

I am not too mechaniclly inclined and I did mine pretty easily. I used a razor blade to make slit in the grip and just pulled on them. They are so soft they will just rip right off. Cleaned off the glue and put on the new ones. Like everyone says the throttle is a bit tricky, but if I could do it anyone should be able to.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems to depend on just how carried away with the glue the person putting them on got. Some come right off, some are a bear to get broken loose and some have to be cut off. The factory ones should come off pretty easily.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you remove the brass ferules put a bath towel (preferably damp) on the ground beneath the throttle. That way it wont bounce or roll if you drop one.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:19 PM
yoseppi
Tourer

Great, but how is the best method to loosen the throotle cable to remove it from the old grip, so I can install it on the new one? I can't seem to get enough slack to slip it out of the stock grip.

Any help please? Nothing here made sense on how to loosen the cable to remove it.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Cannons Custom
Advanced

It's easy like everyone said. Just don't lose the ferrels for the cable connectors. Also just use a sharpie or something similar and mark the on the threads at the bottom of the jam nut so you can get it back to the right spot easily when you put tension back on the cables. The rubber boot covers up the threads again anyways. Also use a piece of card 5/32" thick and stick it between the lever and the housing so you don't trash the end of your stop lamp switch. I wrecked mine but it wasn't too hard to solder a new one in. I would almost suggest using something more like a thick plastic. The cardboard tends to crush too much. Also when putting it all back together make sure all the wires are in their cavities so you don't crush them. You'll blow a accessory fuse if you do and your speedo will show nothing when you turn the key. Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 AM
yoseppi
Tourer

Why is this so fragile? What will break on the stop light switch? Mine seems sturdy, and doesn't seem as fragile as everyone makes it out to be? Is this thing made of glass or something?

Originally Posted by Rhubarb
Just remember to put something in the brake lever before taking the right controls apart.

this is a must do or risk breaking the stop light switch