Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

denim black tins

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 PM
lhcstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default denim black tins

can i powder coat my fenders and tank in a flat black or should i just paint them? i have the vivid black but love the flat black look.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 PM
fixxr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are better off painting them cus, power coating requirers putting the tin in an oven and that may warp things!

Old 11-22-2008, 12:10 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

that is just wrong advice... yes you can do it... i do it about every other week.... if you are going to do flat black man be a bit differnet... have them toss a bit of gold flake in with the powder, still flat black but still has a bit of bling to catch the light... but YES you can powder your tins... i recomend it
if your not feeling the gold a silver flake would be cool to... just so many flat bikes out there, got to switch it up

Fixxr... man i dig the bike! love the chrome swing arm! sharp ride!

Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 AM
sickwithit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JRK5892
that is just wrong advice... yes you can do it... i do it about every other week.... if you are going to do flat black man be a bit differnet... have them toss a bit of gold flake in with the powder, still flat black but still has a bit of bling to catch the light... but YES you can powder your tins... i recomend it
if your not feeling the gold a silver flake would be cool to... just so many flat bikes out there, got to switch it up
Hey Joe,

Can you color sand and buff powdercoat? I was told by the guy I used that you can't do it.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:19 AM
hillbilly deluxe
Cruiser

you could colour sand and matte clear over the top.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:55 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sickwithit
Hey Joe,

Can you color sand and buff powdercoat? I was told by the guy I used that you can't do it.
Yes you can sand and buff powder, powder coat is a paint... it's just formulated different than liquid paint. However, if you buff a semi gloss or flat paint [or powder] it will shine. That may not have been what you were getting at but I figured I'd throw that in.

Here's a pic of a tank I wet sanded and buffed;

Old 11-22-2008, 07:29 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by powdercoater
Yes you can sand and buff powder, powder coat is a paint... it's just formulated different than liquid paint. However, if you buff a semi gloss or flat paint [or powder] it will shine. That may not have been what you were getting at but I figured I'd throw that in.

Here's a pic of a tank I wet sanded and buffed;

Man, does that look nice .

Old 11-22-2008, 10:50 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ROGER YOU ARE THE MAN! that tank looks SICK!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Thanks guys. That's an old tank that was on my shovel when I bought back in '94. It had several cracks in it and the right side was smashed so that one sat on the shelf for about 10 years before I ressurected it as a display piece.

lhcstreetbob - BTW, there is a flat black powder that exactly matches the HD Denim Black! Same look with superior durability. I didn't mean to highjack your thread, just using the pic as an example to answer the questions.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:15 PM
cbass68
Tourer

Hey powdercoater. Question along the same lines... Would a flat black powder coat resist the shine that the flat black paint is subject to? Correct me if I'm wrong but, if I go to clean up bug marks, or rear seat pad marks, the flat black paint will gloss up right? I'm looking at putting some flames on the flat black. Wonder if I'm better off powdercoating or coating the paint with the "matte" that was mentioned here or something...

I'll try to insert a pic here for the look I'm going for. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: denim black tins