Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Headlight on Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:22 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks really good...changes the bike IMO.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:48 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, it makes the SB look better too!
CB

Old 03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
What is the "e-code" lamp. Why do you consider the metal stamped version junk? In your opinion what is a good lamp to get now and where?
CB
"E-code" simply mean a headlight that meets current European specs for light output and beam pattern. An E-code beam pattern has a very sharp horizontal light/dark cut off with a sharp rise to the right (or left, if you're in England).

For headlights with free-form multisurface (non parabolic) reflectors, it's difficult to get the required precision from a stamped metal reflector. In this type light the reflector is handling all the photometrics to generate the beam pattern; the lens is unfluted and clear and serves only as protection for the reflector. With a parabolic reflector with a fluted lens, the lens determines the beam pattern and the only thing the reflector is required to do is focus the light source at a certain point on the lens.

Here is a picture of one the Autopal standard E-code headlights. Look closely on the lens and you'll see the E4 indicating it is a Euro-code approved headlight. The clear lens light he sent me had no E-code markings on the lens, even though the auction said it was E-code approved.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by Gary7
"E-code" simply mean a headlight that meets current European specs for light output and beam pattern. An E-code beam pattern has a very sharp horizontal light/dark cut off with a sharp rise to the right (or left, if you're in England).

For headlights with free-form multisurface (non parabolic) reflectors, it's difficult to get the required precision from a stamped metal reflector. In this type light the reflector is handling all the photometrics to generate the beam pattern; the lens is unfluted and clear and serves only as protection for the reflector. With a parabolic reflector with a fluted lens, the lens determines the beam pattern and the only thing the reflector is required to do is focus the light source at a certain point on the lens.

Here is a picture of one the Autopal standard E-code headlights. Look closely on the lens and you'll see the E4 indicating it is a Euro-code approved headlight. The clear lens light he sent me had no E-code markings on the lens, even though the auction said it was E-code approved.

Thanks Gary, great explanation. Now where to get one and at a reasonable price?
CB

Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Thanks Gary, great explanation. Now where to get one and at a reasonable price?
CB
This is the only thing comparable that I have found. But I have not ordered one, so I can't attest to the quality.

These are "replicas" of the old Cibie Z-Beam headlights. These are not marked as E-code, but I have a distinct memory of what the lens on my Z-Beams looked like, and this is it. So the beam pattern will have a sharp cut off, but no rise to the right like an E-Code would. (In fact, that was the main difference between a Cibie E-Code and Z-Beam: the sharp rise to the right of the beam pattern on the E-Code lamp.)

Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gary7

I did notice mine had a sticker on the back saying "off road use only" when I took it out of the box. I don't "expect" a problem but if some cop has nothing better to do than jack me up over my headlight I guess I can always put the sealed beam back in there.

Gary, sorry to hear about the bad experience. I bought mine from the same seller too, rimiinc.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:55 PM
MNrider
Tourer

Quick memo for FXDF owners thinking about this mod. If you have the FXDF quick detach harley windshield, it won't fit after installing the headlight. DOH!
It would need to have a curve cut into it to clear the bucket. Or a custom headlight mounting block to push the headlight out farther. Oh well, i guess it's time for a windvest for me.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:13 PM
MNrider
Tourer

Quick memo for FXDF owners thinking about this mod. If you have the FXDF quick detach harley windshield, it won't fit after installing the headlight. DOH!
It would need to have a curve cut into it to clear the bucket. Or a custom headlight mounting block to push the headlight out farther. Oh well, i guess it's time for a windvest for me.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by OSP1340
I had a 7" on mine since the spring time last year.
At first not a lot of guys liked it but some did.
I changed the mount on mine to move the headlight further back into the trees.
Here it is on my Street Bob from a 1/4 view and the side view is in my sig line.

I want to do the same thing with my lamp. What mount did you use or did you make one? If you made one, can you post what you did to make it.
Thanks, CB

Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by MNrider
One of the guys on here did a pictorial on cutting the shield to fit the 7". Do a search and you should find it.
CB

Quick Reply: New Headlight on Fat Bob