Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP--Making Dyna Hard Bags Removable

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM
ak602
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP--Making Dyna Hard Bags Removable

Hello to all,
I have a 2005 Superglide with color matched hard saddlebags. My only issue is that they make it very difficult to clean the back end of the bike. I have tackled making them easily removable, but I need some input.

THe bags are only held to the bike using the 2 fender strut bolts. The bolts are grade 8 3 1/2 inch long bolts that come in from the back of the fender, through the strut and sisybar sideplates, through the bag where there is an acorn nut holding it all tight.

What I have attempted to do is get a bolt that is 1/2 an inch longer with threads the whole length of the bolt. I put a chrom 3/8 nut between the fender strut and the saddlebag locking the fender, strut and sideplate to the bike securely. Then I can slide the saddle bag over the remaining lenghth of the bolt and add the acorn nut. This allows the bags to be removed in 2 seconds by just removing the acorn nuts.

My only concern is the original bolts which came with the saddlebag kit were grade 8. I cannot find grade 8 bolts without a shoulder (treads all the way down) The head on the bolt is also approcimately 1/8 of an inch thicker than the original, moving it 1/8 of an inch closer to the tire, but it does not stick out any further than the signal wiring clips inside the fender.

The saddle bag seems to be just as secure as before.

My questions are.....
1-Can I use a standard steel bolt instead of grade 8?
2- Is the head still safely away from the tire? (safety first)
3- Will this all stay together.

Heres a few pics.....

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Aron

Attached Thumbnails HELP--Making Dyna Hard Bags Removable-img00006.jpg   HELP--Making Dyna Hard Bags Removable-img00025.jpg   HELP--Making Dyna Hard Bags Removable-img00016.jpg  
Old 11-20-2008, 05:51 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

does it thread from the bad in or the other way around, when you pull your bags do you have that big bolt stickin out or does that go away too? not sure what your ?s are... ghost brackets are pretty nice though fro easy remove

Old 11-20-2008, 05:55 PM
ak602
Cruiser

Joe,
I knew you'd jump in here. The problem with ghost brackets is "How far do they stick out?" the mod i did (on one side LOL) makes the bag move out less than half an inch. Im not really looking to ride with the bags off, Im looking to make the back wheel sparkle.

What you think.

Aron

Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 PM
ak602
Cruiser

My biggest concern is the "grade" of the bolt.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't think you'll have a problem using different bolt grade. Make a test run and then check everything out.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:25 PM
cruzin papa
Road Captain

I have thought about this too. My idea was to get a bolt log enough to have treads all the way throu the bag, spacer, a locking nut and treaded into the finder brace. But be long enough to have 1/2 treads in bag and cut the head off bolt and put accorn nuts in bag. I know thats kind of long winded I hope you understand what I mean.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:32 PM
ak602
Cruiser

I just looked at it again, Im happy with the results. Cost me $10 so far and took me 15 minutes to do the right side. I still need to do the left side.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:43 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the same thing on my lowrider about a year ago. I dont leave the bags on all the time, just for long trips. Went from long island to laconia NH and also to ocean city MD with no problems at all.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:18 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

if you are going to still roll with the bags on, just make a spacer... i would also put a good size fender washer on both sides of the bolt to help spread the weight out a bit better... if you run a stronger grade bolt you will be fine brother... cool idea man

Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard Bag Mods

Not only is this a good idea----quaifies for under $50.00 but it is applicable to any bags with the factory holes 10 1/2" apart REGARDLESS of what HD says they fit, I am planning to put a stiffining plate on the inside of a set of bags and then follow the instructions on this installation

Quick Reply: HELP--Making Dyna Hard Bags Removable