Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you supposed to cut this? (Removing stock seat on FXDC)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Didn't have a hard time removing mine but I never put the strap back on anyway. My Tallboy has a strap as well and it sits at the bottom of the box with the old strap. Too much hassle and not enough value in having it to be worth dealing with it. Of course, my front and rear reflectors are at the bottom of a box as well and the idiot sticker on the downtube along with the one on top of the stock a/c cover are in the county landfill somewhere.

Cut the strap if you must, sounds like you already have, and if you need a new one, send me a few bucks to cover shipping and you can have mine. It ain't worth it. I strapped a little bag on the front to carry some of the little things some people stick under the strap sometimes (gloves, ball cap, etc.).

Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by walkamile
remove phillips screw in rear fender
slide seat back until the tab slides out from under gas tank
rotate seat 45 to 90 degrees to the side
pull seat out from grab strap
remove nut from fender holding on grab strap

reverse to replace.

That's the procedure I used to replace my seat.

Depending on the new seat you have to make sure you use the right holes on the new strap.

Sammi

Old 11-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Bill-FXDF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 07 XL1200L before my current 08 FXDF. I just removed the screw from the back screw and there is a tab that slides into a slot on the back of the tank. I had problems with a Sundowner Seat being so loose in the tank slot that it rattled all the time. The dealer just put a short rubber sleeve on the tab and it fit nice and tight into the tank slot but after a couple months I had a lot of trouble trying to get it back out. You may have the same kind of situation. After removing the rear mounting screw that seat should slide back. I don't think any of the Sportsters have their seat strap mounted to the fender like the Dyna's do, but then I don't have a lot of experience with other Sportster Models. You can always check your Owners Manual.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
Didn't have a hard time removing mine but I never put the strap back on anyway. My Tallboy has a strap as well and it sits at the bottom of the box with the old strap. Too much hassle and not enough value in having it to be worth dealing with it. Of course, my front and rear reflectors are at the bottom of a box as well and the idiot sticker on the downtube along with the one on top of the stock a/c cover are in the county landfill somewhere.

Cut the strap if you must, sounds like you already have, and if you need a new one, send me a few bucks to cover shipping and you can have mine. It ain't worth it. I strapped a little bag on the front to carry some of the little things some people stick under the strap sometimes (gloves, ball cap, etc.).
nah, I got a spare the new one came with, that's actually why I asked

Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Slide the seat out and then remove the screws holding the strap. That's what I did on my 2007 FXDC. If you can't manage that, cut the strap, you'll never use it again. Then unscrew the screws holding it on.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Better check your State laws about grab straps. You may be aksing for a ticket or a lawsuit if your passenger falls off and you removed the factory "safety" strap. Just saying.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
which reflectors are you talking about?
All of them!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Better check your State laws about grab straps. You may be aksing for a ticket or a lawsuit if your passenger falls off and you removed the factory "safety" strap. Just saying.
Never had a passenger, probably never will