Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jail time for keeping it stock ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:43 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Loud pipes remind me of the young kids with the boom boxes in their cars. Make as much noise as you can so people will look. I look, but not in admiration.

I have stock pipes on most of my bikes. I am also noticing a trend toward "less is better". There will always be those who think its cool to annoy others, your call.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an aftermarket pipe on my sport bike (FZ1) but not on the HD. I haven't decided if I want to make it louder or not. I happen to like the sound as-is, especially when pounding the interstate, but I may grow tired of it at some point. I'm considering the stage 1 filter and PCIII for my SG just to open it up a bit, but with stock pipes. Sometimes I leave for work at 530 am, and it's nice to rumble quietly at those times.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

SEII's on my FXDWG... The RK is stock.... Sometimes I wonder if all the noise the WG makes is why I like riding it more than the RK... So I'm on the fence, but never would I replace the SEII's with stock...

Old 11-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

I still have stock pipes on the Fat Bob after 6 months.
Not because I have any burning desire to be politically correct.....
God knows we get enough of that crap shoved down our throats on a daily basis.
But it's been more of a financial thing and a waiting game.
Want to do the whole stage one together and have just too many other things I need to spend money on.
Just had a crown and a root canal....there goes the stage one for now...LOL
That being said, the stock pipes do get louder as you rack up the miles.
I have 3800 on it now and they are starting to sound pretty good when I get on it around 4000 rpm.
If they were a bit louder/deeper at idle I might even consider leaving them stock.
HD said they were making them a tad deeper a couple years ago to try to get more people to leave them stock.... not quite there.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:27 PM
HDRider78154
Tourer

If you like the look and the sound then stick with stock. There is nothing wrong with stock if that is what you like. If you are going to try and get all of us to agree you are a better man than I am.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:48 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has any one noticed that most of the riders that prefer the stock pipes come from the Touring crowd?

Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 AM
cruzin papa
Road Captain

Well my thinking is if you like the stock pipes good for you. I myself like loud pipes so thats what I run. Kind of simple isn't it.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 AM
creekhed1
Road Master

When I'm coming up into some cagers blind spot I always get loud for a moment (give the throttle a twist) and 8/10 times I'll see them look into their mirror at me. I like to get their attention so I don't get cut off.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:24 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had my Nighster, I HATED the stock sound. So WIMPY! I mean, it was awful. Could barely hear the engine when riding. So I put Rush Slip-ons, 2.25" baffles. Really loud, really cool, nice rumble. But the bike ran crappy. Went down to 1.75" baffles, actually liked the sound BETTER, and bike ran a bit better, but according to the dealer, "not like it should". (I didn't do any other work). I really liked louder pipes.

Just recently traded the Nightster in for a new 2008 Street Bob. I was amazed at the nice sound of the stock pipes! And others have said "those are STOCK? But they sound so good!". So this time around, I'm leaving it alone. I've heard too many people say once they start changing things on the exhaust or the engine, that's when they've ended up with problems. Not true for everyone, I'm sure, but I've heard that sentiment a lot. So for me, my bike's sound is good, the bike runs as it should, I'll spend the money on some other things I want for the bike. Plus, I HAD been a bit worried about the noise police, so it's one less thing to think about.

But definitely, to each his own.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, for me It is not about loud mufflers. I just like the tapered look of the stock mufflers. If someone made a set that looked just like them and they were free flowing and louder I would get them. The closest I have seen are the rush tip compatible mufflers with tapered tips and I may go with them. Or, try and modify a stock set as I mentioned previously. The stock 09's are not hard to match since they are no longer tapered and I would swap those out in a minute.
Question, do all the 08' and 09's come with cats/mufflers or just CA bikes, anyone know?
CB

Quick Reply: Jail time for keeping it stock ??