Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RE: Sporty vs Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Squee
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sporty vs Dyna

Well, after a few sleepless nights I finally made up my mind. I traded my nightster in for a 09’ street bob. My nightster will truly be missed but overall I think it was the right choice.

I only had one day to really play around but I still managed to get one of my favorite runs in last weekend. So I really got an idea on how well a street bob would handle comparatively. I started out easy but getting familiar with this bike was way too easy. I would start taking the corners almost as if I was on my sporty. I know these two bikes have almost the same lean angle so I was really expecting to hear the feelers on the mid mounts to drag. Old habits die hard I guess. Center of gravity felt the same but the weight difference was still noticable. Overall the street bob feels just as capable as my nightster did.

After the first hundred miles I did start shifting around in the seat a little. The next hundred I think I was OK with getting off but could have done more, and would have it if was warmer than what it was (somewhere between 35 and 45 I think). I had a mustang seat on the nightster, I may go corbin with the Street bob. With a possibility of Sturgis next year I think a better seat is mandatory…

Without having broken in the engine properly, I haven’t cranked on that throttle the way I have been itching to. My buddy that I usually ride with (who has the rocket) has pretty much put his bike away for the season so I will know firsthand about how it performs next year ( his bike and my nightster were neck and neck up until 80mph…that we know of).
Even though I may be a perfect candidate for a buell and moving to a bigger bike was questionable for me, I must say so far I have no regrets. The street bob is a beautiful, fulfilling bike.

Thanks guys for the feedback on my other posts. I think with your help I have made the right choice here.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,293 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Congrats and enjoy your new ride.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
ccstreetbob
Advanced

Congrats on the "Bob", sounds like you made the right choice. I have a C&C seat and love it, no problem w/long rides at all. Lucky for me it's allways riding season here in south TX.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
sonic
Road Captain

Congrads, Did the sporty have mid's also? How tall are you, I couldn't ride wifeys sporty before we installed forwards. I'm 6'3" but have no problems on it now.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Squee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sonic
Congrads, Did the sporty have mid's also? How tall are you, I couldn't ride wifeys sporty before we installed forwards. I'm 6'3" but have no problems on it now.
5'9, 5'10" somewhere around there. I love the mids. Though I think forwards are more comfortable, I get alot of use from the mids to give em up. I had highway pegs on the sporty and it is driving me nuts that I don't have them on the street bob yet.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:19 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

First off....congrats on the new bike!

Secondly.....the bike too big for you? NO!

You will be fine. Depending on your inseam, you might wnat to consider forward controls.

As far as seat...depends on what kind of riding you are going to do. Solo? 2-up?

~Joe

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Squee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by traveler
First off....congrats on the new bike!

Secondly.....the bike too big for you? NO!

You will be fine. Depending on your inseam, you might wnat to consider forward controls.

As far as seat...depends on what kind of riding you are going to do. Solo? 2-up?

~Joe
Nah the size never bothers me. I've had the privilage to put about 1k miles on a cruiser over the summer. I am just not ready for a bike like that to be mine. I am 28, I like getting to the speed limit as fast as possible, but I need it to be functional for daily use. The street bob was exactly what I am looking for.

I think I am going with the corbin seat classic solo or close solo. I will get the detachable passenger seat and all the goodies later when I can aford it. Either that or I hope alot of people thought I was a good boy this year for X-mas. My girl loves riding with me, but she does have her own bike. She got hers the same year I got my nightster. Except the first year we had our bikes I had over 9k miles and she had 100 miles on hers. The only reason she had that many is because I put them there to keep the bike running. The desire is there for her but I think she is just intimidated and I don't want to push too hard. If she isn't confident with her ride I dont want her fighting these cagers on the streets.

Highway pegs will be fine I think. I enjoyed having the option of mids and the highway pegs on the nighty...I don't know, I suppose I have the winter to decide.

Thanks guys

Pic should be in my signature. Mods to come when money does.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:01 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats. I have an 07 Street Bob and kept the mids. Even though I am 6.0 the mids do not feel cramped to me at all. I added the highway pegs so I can stretch out when I want. Riding a bike with forwards just feels wrong to me , I shift my weight around a bunch while cornering and the forwards just did not allow me to do that. It could be that I grew up riding bikes with mids and I am too old to adjust, lol. I understand others feel fine with forwards, but I would understand it if you kept the mids.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 PM
spacekowboy
Tourer

Congrats on the ride, i just got my 09 street bob a couple of weeks ago. Love the bike but can't wait for some forward controls. I have the passenger seat, sissy bar and passenger pegs, just wish I could find a quicker way to go from two-up to solo. Other than that love the power and cornering.

Last edited by spacekowboy; 11-11-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spacekowboy
Congrats on the ride, i just got my 09 street bob a couple of weeks ago. Love the bike but can't wait for some forward controls. I have the passenger seat, sissy bar and passenger pegs, just wish I could find a quicker way to go from two-up to solo. Other than that love the power and cornering.
What do you mean? The time it takes to switch seats?

Quick Reply: RE: Sporty vs Dyna