Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal module kit advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 PM
KENNYPOCONOS
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal module kit advice

i installed this module on my '03 low rider. it worked as it should for a while. then at some point, the turn signals stopped working as running lights but they do work as brake lights. today, i bought a new module, switched it out and the same thing happens.brake lights only! anyone have any ideas or has this happened to anyone else? i need some advice.
kenny-GUNMAN526AOL.COM thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Check to see if you still have running lights at the front turn signals.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:19 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have installed this module on my 06 FXDI for the third time. The first one worked for about a month, then the left side signal stopped working as a stop light and as a signal. It continued working as a running light.

I unhooked the module and the turn signal worked as it was supposed to. I spoke to the dealer and explained my logic (the master electronic wizard that I am) that since the bulb was good, the module must be defective. They gave me another and told me they would laugh if this one should also become "defective". I showed them. I installed it and everything worked.

Two weeks later.......well, read first paragraph. I wasn't about to go back to the dealer, so I removed the second module and went without. A while later, I had my rear fender removed from the bike. As I had the opportunity to clearly see the rear wiring harness, I found a mess. The wiring had obviously been skinned before and half-*** repaired and routed. As a result, additional skinning had occurred causing a short. I redid all the wiring under the fender.

I hated the thought of going back to my dealer to give them the satisfaction of me getting a third module and handing over cash for this one. The big ***** that I have, I went to another dealer and to buy it. The third module has been on for a year now and works fine.

Look for a wiring issue under your fender, maybe where the signals mount at the strut.

Good luck!

John

Old 11-09-2008, 03:43 AM
SikRyd
Tourer

I had the same problem on the rear turn signals with my Sporty. Tire bottomed out on a big bump and "burned" the wiring. Always good to check their first.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:57 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Everyone should be aware of this module, NOT being compatible with bikes with the OEM Security System, as the engine will shut off while riding!!!! It interferes with the Security System!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:09 PM
SecretAgent
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Everyone should be aware of this module, NOT being compatible with bikes with the OEM Security System, as the engine will shut off while riding!!!! It interferes with the Security System!
and where is this info coming from? i've been running the moduel for a few months now, and thousands of miles, with ZERO problems with my oem security system. please post some info to back up this ridiculous statement.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SecretAgent
and where is this info coming from? i've been running the moduel for a few months now, and thousands of miles, with ZERO problems with my oem security system. please post some info to back up this ridiculous statement.

From first hand, personal experience! I chased it for two months, removed it, took a run and it DIDN'T die, as it ALWAYS dies on any run over 45 miles without stopping! You are lucy it doesn't die on you at highway speeds! If it dies on you, I would look straight to the module!

Now that's some facts for the ridiculous statement I made!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/278623-bike-died.html

Last edited by BlockHead96; 11-10-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had one of those things on my 07 FXD for 22 months with no problem. I've heard they can be pretty flakey, but mine's been reliable. This is the first I've heard of them shutting down an engine, though.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 AM
SecretAgent
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
From first hand, personal experience! I chased it for two months, removed it, took a run and it DIDN'T die, as it ALWAYS dies on any run over 45 miles without stopping! You are lucy it doesn't die on you at highway speeds! If it dies on you, I would look straight to the module!

Now that's some facts for the ridiculous statement I made!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278623

just seems strange that with the THOUSANDS of people that have purchased that module you're the only one that has that problem. especially since that module in no way correlates with any input the security system relies on to activate.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SecretAgent
just seems strange that with the THOUSANDS of people that have purchased that module you're the only one that has that problem. especially since that module in no way correlates with any input the security system relies on to activate.

LOL, are you a dealer?? Sound like one! That's a standard line all dealers say, "you're the only one with that problem" BS!

Think of the poor folks who have an engine shut down issue that have this module, chase the problem and can't find what the problem is let alone even look at that item. You made a statement--

" especially since that module in no way correlates with any input the security system relies on to activate"

Wrong!

Your Security System is tied directly into your turn signals, front and rear! The pulse or input that module gives to make a single filament bulb,(rear turn signal) to blink and get brighter and stay on, is doing something to the security system to think it is being activated. What that is, I haven't figured out yet. Feel your turn signal and the module, what do you get?? Heat!

I'm happy you haven't experienced this issue, at least not yet and I hope you never do! But let me say, cruising on the Highway and having your ride shut down at 70 MPH ain't a fun experience! I have tracked, dated and noted everything I've done to my bike, then started the process of elimination. Low and behold, when I got to the module, no shut down on my next ride! Now, to be more certain it is in fact that module, I need more day rides. It never shut down prior to that edition and hasn't shut down since It's been removed. Every ride between with the mod installed, it died somewhere on my ride! What's your explanation?

Quick Reply: turn signal module kit advice