Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn signal module kit advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:31 AM
SecretAgent
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
LOL, are you a dealer?? Sound like one! That's a standard line all dealers say, "you're the only one with that problem" BS!

Think of the poor folks who have an engine shut down issue that have this module, chase the problem and can't find what the problem is let alone even look at that item. You made a statement--

" especially since that module in no way correlates with any input the security system relies on to activate"

Wrong!

Your Security System is tied directly into your turn signals, front and rear! The pulse or input that module gives to make a single filament bulb,(rear turn signal) to blink and get brighter and stay on, is doing something to the security system to think it is being activated. What that is, I haven't figured out yet. Feel your turn signal and the module, what do you get?? Heat!

I'm happy you haven't experienced this issue, at least not yet and I hope you never do! But let me say, cruising on the Highway and having your ride shut down at 70 MPH ain't a fun experience! I have tracked, dated and noted everything I've done to my bike, then started the process of elimination. Low and behold, when I got to the module, no shut down on my next ride! Now, to be more certain it is in fact that module, I need more day rides. It never shut down prior to that edition and hasn't shut down since It's been removed. Every ride between with the mod installed, it died somewhere on my ride! What's your explanation?
the security system activates the turn signals, the turn signals don't activate the security system. the turn signals/brake lights are not inputs and their presence in no way effects the behavior of the arming/disarming of the security system. The only thing the security module does with the turn signals is send a pulse to notify you that the system is armed or activated. The only way it could interfere with the security system is if it was sending EM interference to the security module. because the security module requires several requirements to be present for itself to activate, and even more for it to shut off the bike. the only way for it to, logically, malfunction like that is from some sort of anomaly. Either a faulty epoxy shield on the modules themselves, or a random malfunction due to mounting locations.

As for heat, every electrical component on the bike radiates heat in different levels. And you know what creates even more heat? THE ENGINE. So I don't know what you're trying to prove there.

Am I a dealer? No. Just someone who understands electronics aren't black arts.

As for diagnosing your problem....obviously I can't. It's nearly impossible to diagnose a problem like that without actually looking at the bike. The turn signal module may have indirectly effecting the security system by exposing another problem on the bike (such as an exposed/shorted wire), but there's just no way, besides the aforementioned EM interference, that the module could activate the security system. Because even if the module caused the system to activate, it wouldn't disable the bike with the keyfob present. You would also see the keylight on the dash flashing, along with the turn signals activating just like if the system was activated for normal reasons. I'd look to an intermittent electrical problem before I'd blame the turnsignal module. You mentioned two loose battery connections in your thread as well...has the problem happened again since tightening those cables? regardless of the TS module being installed or not? The fact that it took a few minutes for you to be able to restart the bike points away from the module as well because if it was tripping the alarm it would do it all the time, while the signals are being activated, or while on the brakes, not just randomly after precisely 45 miles as you are implying.

Again, I wouldn't be so hasty to blame the module just because since you took it off the problem hasn't happened again. There are so many other unmentioned variables that could have been different on those next rides that without being able to pinpoint even a vaguely logical reason why the module would cause the problem, make it impossible to verifiably pinpoint the module as the problem.

Last edited by SecretAgent; 11-11-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you found the cause and answered the question in your first paragraph. At the time, the stealer basically wouldn't look at it without exhibiting the problem, well no chit, when you bring it in, it's running! When they did look at it, they found nothing. They have left me on my own to chase and figure out this issue let alone run ability issues. I have now become my own warranty station as it will never go back. I now have little respect or use for the MoCo. The module was replaced the day before the last ride to see if it was defective. Nope, it still shut down with that new module. The obvious next step for me, was to remove the module altogether and ride. The ride consisted of 145 miles without a hiccup! That reinforces to me, that module is the culprit, at least for now. Reread post #3 to see what he says. I think it is hit and miss in this situation with this mod and some bikes. You even state,( the security system activates the turn signals, the turn signals don't activate the security system) Actually, likely one in the same. The security system is already activated, by the time the TS flash to let you know the SS is activated. Everything from ground, to connections were checked and all tight including cables. When it died, I lost the engine, not lights, wait, cycle key, starts up. Many stealers I've talked to from different areas of the state agree, that the Module "may" interfere with the security system. Again, hit and miss. Until it happens again, that module is the culprit.

(The fact that it took a few minutes for you to be able to restart the bike points away from the module as well because if it was tripping the alarm it would do it all the time, while the signals are being activated, or while on the brakes, not just randomly after precisely 45 miles as you are implying.)

Not necessarily. Remember, the bike is running at the time of shut down. The key is in the on position, in the ignition, with the FOB attached to the key. It's till you cycle the key to actually arm/disarm the alarm to re start the bike.

BTW, you misstated (if it was tripping the alarm it would do it all the time, while the signals are being activated, or while on the brakes, not just randomly after precisely 45 miles as you are implying.) Never said (after precisely 45 miles as you are implying.) It would always shut down on any continuous ride over 45 miles.

Last edited by BlockHead96; 11-11-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:57 AM
SecretAgent
Cruiser

Maybe you found the cause and answered the question in your first paragraph. At the time, the stealer basically wouldn't look at it without exhibiting the problem, well no chit, when you bring it in, it's running! When they did look at it, they found nothing. They have left me on my own to chase and figure out this issue let alone run ability issues. I have now become my own warranty station as it will never go back. I now have little respect or use for the MoCo. The module was replaced the day before the last ride to see if it was defective. Nope, it still shut down with that new module. The obvious next step for me, was to remove the module altogether and ride. The ride consisted of 145 miles without a hiccup! That reinforces to me, that module is the culprit, at least for now. Reread post #3 to see what he says. I think it is hit and miss in this situation with this mod and some bikes. You even state,( the security system activates the turn signals, the turn signals don't activate the security system) Actually, likely one in the same. The security system is already activated, by the time the TS flash to let you know the SS is activated. Everything from ground, to connections were checked and all tight including cables. When it died, I lost the engine, not lights, wait, cycle key, starts up. Many stealers I've talked to from different areas of the state agree, that the Module "may" interfere with the security system. Again, hit and miss. Until it happens again, that module is the culprit.

(The fact that it took a few minutes for you to be able to restart the bike points away from the module as well because if it was tripping the alarm it would do it all the time, while the signals are being activated, or while on the brakes, not just randomly after precisely 45 miles as you are implying.)

Not necessarily. Remember, the bike is running at the time of shut down. The key is in the on position, in the ignition, with the FOB attached to the key. It's till you cycle the key to actually arm/disarm the alarm to re start the bike.

BTW, you misstated (if it was tripping the alarm it would do it all the time, while the signals are being activated, or while on the brakes, not just randomly after precisely 45 miles as you are implying.) Never said (after precisely 45 miles as you are implying.) It would always shut down on any continuous ride over 45 miles.
If you go back and reread post number 3 you will see that the problem with his bike wasn't the module at all, it was an electrical short which fried the module.

I can't comprehend most of what you're saying because you're not explaining yourself well at all, nor giving any sort of reasoning behind what you're saying...i.e.

You even state,( the security system activates the turn signals, the turn signals don't activate the security system) Actually, likely one in the same. The security system is already activated, by the time the TS flash to let you know the SS is activated.
Actually, no, they're not one in the same. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that would make it "one in the same." The TURN SIGNALS DO NOT HAVE OUTPUTS. They are merely an electrical resistor. Nothing more. You can remove them completely and the security system will still function normally.

Until you start organizing your thoughts better, I'm not exactly sure how to comment, because you're not really explaining anything.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:07 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the module for a bike with security system and it died as well. So he is not the only one...

Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
SecretAgent
Cruiser

ok, so now out of the thousands...we have two. Look, i'm not saying you guys are wrong, I'm just saying its highly unlikely to be the culprit, and if it is the culprit i'm just trying to figure out why it is.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

My apologizes for not being able to express myself better. All I can do is try harder. The turn signals are directly tied in to the security system, otherwise they wouldn't flash to acknowledge engagement of the system. The module goes in line, between the harness, that the security system is tied into. Somehow, the resistors within the module must be sending some weird voltage/signal back to the security system and ECM to create a shut down situation.

I really don't know how else to explain this, maybe I'm to dumb to know how to explain things..

I don't know if the turn signals have inputs, outputs, side way puts or whatever, all I know is, something is going on between the Security system and the resistors within the module, that run between the turn signal harness that is creating something electronic being sent back to the ECM to shut down.

How can you say, by removing the module and no re occurrence of shut down, that is wasn't the module??
Good exchange here!

Last edited by BlockHead96; 11-11-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Any way, back to my second post in this thread. Beware to those with factory security systems, if you install the turn signal brake light running light module, you risk the chance of your engine shutting down while riding!!!