Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change inner primary bearing required?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change inner primary bearing required?

I just bought a used 2006 Dyna Street Bob. After going through some papers that I got with the bike I found this statement:

"An inner primary bearing replacement is required at 15,000 mile intervals."

It goes on to say, "Harley-Davidson has preliminarily determined the inner primary bearing on your 2006 Dyna motorcycle will require replacement at 15,000 mile intervals. The bearing will be replaced by your authorized Harley-Davidson dealer at 15,000 miles and at subsequent 15,000 mile intervals, at no cost to you. This service requirement may change over time as we make improvements and monitor repair trends on 2006 Dyna motorcycles."

Does anyone know about this? Is this still a problem?

Old 11-08-2008, 12:20 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will find the majority of the 06 Dyna owners on this site have experienced IPB issues. Mine went out a couple weeks after my factory warranty ended. When I talked to the dealer about replacing it, I showed them the letter from Harley. They pulled my VIN# up on the computer and saw I also had recall work needing to be done on the tranny. They went ahead and replaced the primary bearing at no charge to me. I don't know if they did it because of the letter or because they were already going to be in the cases for the tranny recall work.

Just so you know, Harley later published a letter stating the IPB replacement was no longer needed as outlined in the first letter.

Last edited by jmpancoast; 11-08-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:37 PM
eric95
Advanced

Road Warrior is correct. Most of us have experience problems with the primary bearing. Mine went out at 14K. I bitched and mooned to HD and they replaced it for free. At first the dealer pretended not to know anything about the problem. I think they corrected the problem with the 07”s

Old 11-08-2008, 04:02 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

was told by the stealer when i bought my 06 lr that the bearing needed to be checked every 15k......ot oh.... its about that time.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Is the problem only with the Dynas? I have a 2006 Ultra Classic too with the same motor. Did other models with the 1450 cc motor have the same problem?

Old 11-08-2008, 05:37 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dyna only and you will find out thet retracted that letter has inner been replaced?

Old 11-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

No, it only has 5,000 miles on it so far.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 PM
ss377
Road Captain

I got the letter rescinding the bearing replacement shortly after buying my SB in Oct 05. It has not given any problem in 43,000 miles.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

In the service manual, it says to replace every 15k miles though, so I'm confused.. am I supposed to do this or what? I was told late model 06 dyna's, something like if they were manufactured from july or august of 06 and on, they are fine or something along those lines...

So I have a late model Dyna, and mine has been going strong for 18k miles.. do I still need to replace it according to the service manual?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
In the service manual, it says to replace every 15k miles though, so I'm confused.. am I supposed to do this or what? I was told late model 06 dyna's, something like if they were manufactured from july or august of 06 and on, they are fine or something along those lines...

So I have a late model Dyna, and mine has been going strong for 18k miles.. do I still need to replace it according to the service manual?
I would test the dealer. Talk to them about the first letter which states will replaces the bearing at each 15k interval at no charge. See if your dealer is aware of this and if they will stand behind it.

If they will not replace it, wait to see if/when it goes bad. I can't see the need to go to the trouble or expense (on my dime) to replace if it isn't making noise. If an occasion comes up where you are removing the primary cases for other work, replace it while you are in there.

Just my thoughts on this.

Last edited by jmpancoast; 11-09-2008 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Change inner primary bearing required?