Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Vintage vs. Mean City Cycles mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:59 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mustang Vintage vs. Mean City Cycles mod

So I have an 08 Street Bob and for XMAS I'm wanting a new seat for the next season.

I'm torn between either getting the Mustang Vintage Solo and having the folks at Mean City Cycles do the Memory Foam modification to my stock seat.

http://meancitycycles.com/motorcycle...ifications.php

I was hoping that someone here may have had some experience with both, as obviously I haven't.

Curious what others' opinions might be on this.

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 AM
paulies 07
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a Mustang solo on my sportie and it was ok, kinda uncomfortable on long rides, at least for me, just had my stock seat on my WG lowered 2 inches and memory foam put in by Mean City, HOLY CRAP what a difference, I can ride all day now on a seat that felt like a friggen board, and for around 100 bucks hell of a deal, great service too. good turn around time, shipped the same day it was finished, do I sound like a happy customer, hell yes.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 AM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain

Thanks paulies, that's what I was looking for. Someone who's tried both.

I've heard so many people raving about the Mustang, saying how comfortable it is, but I have been curious bout the memory foam mod that MCC does. The price is right and I like the idea of keeping my stock cover, but not the stock feel.

How did you have the seat lowered? Are you referring to them lowering the riding position?

I'm about 5'8 and around 160lbs and I'm pretty comfortable how I sit as it is, just want something softer for my rump when I'm riding more than 20-30minutes. However I might be interested in going an inch or so lower just so that when I get forward controls next year it's a little less of a stretch for me.

Thx again!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Default The Opposing Point of View

I've come to the conclusion that seats are kinda like the loudness of pipes. What is sweet music to one is brain rattling to another.
I have both seats and found the Mustang a little better than the MC seat mod. Here's my previous post on the topic:

Well I can say I've done both. I have an '06 LR which the stock seat was, well, as we all know able to make my butt a numb nut after only a few hours of riding. So to make a long story short I went with the Mean City seat. Service was great from Allan and the seat was a major improvement over the stock seat but a days riding still left me butt sore. I kept hearing on this forum that guys with the Mustang seats that could ride for a day with no problem. So just last month bit the bullet and got the Mustang Vintage solo seat. And yes it is an improvement over the MC seat but not that much. The jury is still out as I have yet to spend a full day in the Mustang seat. Yet after a few trips of 2-3 hours in the Mustang seat I don't see how I could go the whole day with no problems.
Don't know, maybe my expectations are probably just too high or I've got some kinda weird butt. I'm still looking for the seat I can do a day's riding (6-8 hours with stops) and not be butt sore at the end.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I hated my memory foam modded seat!.... the big difference is you still have a crappy seat pan that is not flat and offers no support. I have a mustang tripper solo that I can ride all day on without mega inches of foam to cover up a seat pan defect from the factory!

Last edited by rounder; 11-07-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:20 PM
paulies 07
Road Captain

Shock, yes I had MCC lower the seat and they did a great job, we're the same size, but I have no legs, 28 inch inseam, they moved me down and foreward, the memory foam they use according to them is hospital grade, when I first sat on it, it wasn't too soft, but if forms to your butt, and you don't get and chaffing

Old 11-07-2008, 05:57 AM
Jet x 4
Tourer

Mustangs take awhile to break in. After 1000 miles or so mine was very comfortable

Old 11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

also memory foam is subject to temperature. It is hard until warmed up over something like 75º.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:46 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jet x 4
Mustangs take awhile to break in. After 1000 miles or so mine was very comfortable
I often wonder does the seat "break in" or does the body riding on it get comfortable with it. one thing foe sure a flat seatpan is a god send either way.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Default Memory Foam

Originally Posted by rounder
also memory foam is subject to temperature. It is hard until warmed up over something like 75º.
Rounder, and that's a problem living in Florida?

Quick Reply: Mustang Vintage vs. Mean City Cycles mod