Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of baffles on '09 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008 | 10:39 AM
Rickyric
|
4th Gear
Default Removal of baffles on '09 Street Bob

I really like the style of the stock pipes on my '09 Street Bob, but the sound is sad. Can I remove the buffles without mapping, adjusting, or seeing the HD dealer?

Old 11-02-2008 | 10:43 AM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Removing the baffles will remove low end torque because of lack of proper back pressure.

Old 11-02-2008 | 12:22 PM
Rickyric
|
4th Gear
Default replacement

Can I replace the baffles with a louder tone? If so, can you direct me?

Old 11-02-2008 | 12:52 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rickyric
I really like the style of the stock pipes on my '09 Street Bob, but the sound is sad. Can I remove the buffles without mapping, adjusting, or seeing the HD dealer?
Yes. I cut through the weld with a 2" whole saw, and placed a steel rod in the header end of the muffler and pounded them out. The packing remains in the muffler so you still have a controlled sound. I added a set of Xides and it took care of the low end torque loss. If you have the cash, get a set of Rinehart slip ons. The style of them is very similar to the mufflers on your 09 Bob.

Old 11-02-2008 | 05:19 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

Check out Cycle Shack for replacement slip-ons like in my sig. pic

Old 11-02-2008 | 08:06 PM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain

Just take a steel rod approx the diameter of a nickel and just insert it through the end of each muffler until you feel the center plug of the baffle, then just give it a nice whack or two with a hammer, and you will notice the rod will now go further up inside your exhaust, this means you have pushed the plug open. Repeat on the lower exhaust and you are done. Sounds MUCH better, and you do not even need to remove your muffler, because typically the plug will just open up with the very top part still attached. I did this on my new 2008 super glide, added a set of XIEDS and she runs beautiful, and sounds great. You can also use the threaded end of a broom handle or mop handle to do this.NOTE, If you get a flash lite you can look up through the back of your muffler and see the small quarter size plug up inside, thats where you want to center the rod before you give it a whack. This whole procedure takes about 1 minute total !

Old 11-03-2008 | 02:48 AM
towboattrash34
Banned

don't go cutting anything you just need to buy some slipons like cycle shack and others are good... like the others said you go knocking the baffle out and you screw up your lowend power... your factory slipons are not ment to change the baffles

Old 11-03-2008 | 07:26 AM
whited44
Intermediate

I drilled mine out too with the hole saw! Didn't get it remapped. Runs fine cost me about 8 bucks for the hole saw bit. And sounds 100X better

Old 11-03-2008 | 08:02 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

I tell you right now. Unless the after market slip ons have some heavy baffles, you are going to loose low end. I swapped mine out for the V&H slip ons, and honestly, the modified stockers ran much better.

Old 11-03-2008 | 10:26 AM
Rickyric
|
4th Gear

jaysonL,

Add V&H Straightshot HS slip-ons, part #16823, that's it, no other high dollar adjustments.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Removal of baffles on '09 Street Bob