Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Photos of my Dyna 'Electra Glide'

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008 | 11:32 PM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member

Installing the front end shouldn't be that time consuming if one has experience doing it:

1. remove the wheel and fender
2. loosen the stem nut
3. remove the risers and pull the handlebars back out of the way
4. remove the headlight
5. loosen the pinch bolts on the triple trees and remove the fork tubes
6. remove the stem nut and remove the triple trees

- that'll pretty much get you to a front end-less bike, of course there are a few things like jacking up the bike and securing it on a stand, remove the seat and clip the 'zip tie' on the wiring service loop, feed the wiring harness up through the backbone (to give yourself some 'room' to work ... it'll help immensly to remove the wiring at the plugs), and a few other 'set up' items I may be overlooking like removing the brake caliper from the fork tube.

- at this point is where you'll run into a couple of more time consuming, unique aspects to the install:

7. use a grinder to remove approximately two thirds of the fork stop block that is located on the front of the neck tube on the frame ... I'm not sure if the later model ('06 and later) FXDs have this; unless it's depth is reduced, this will prevent the FLST lower triple tree from fitting

8. another time consuming step--the inner faces of the FLST triple tree must be milled or ground at about a 45 degree angle; the fork stop for the FLST is where this abuts against the frame and the downtubes of the Dyna frame protrude out further than the FLST (unless this step is done, the turning radius will be so reduced as to make the bike practically unrideable) ... for me this involved a lot of trial and error, so this took me a disproportionately long time

- after these steps, it's pretty much down to the install

9. unless the bearing races are scored and unusable, they may be left in the neck tube; properly grease the neck bearings and install the dust cover and triple trees in the frame

10. place the 'cow bells' (upper sliders) over the fork tubes and insert the fork tubes up through the triple trees, screw the bolts into the fork tubes atop the upper triple trees ... note, there's no pinch bolts on the upper triple tree

11. tighten the pinch bolts on the lower triple tree, bolt up the upper sliders to the lower triple tree

12. install the headlight, handlebar risers and tins, unless changing out the turn signals, draw the wiring harness back up through the backbone and secure the service loop as before

13. install the front wheel, brake caliper and new fender

14. ensure everything is torqued to specs

[I replaced the fork oil with Screamin Eagle Heavy Duty fork oil.]

It took me over several days working in the evenings and even then, I wasn't done before I deployed for almost six months and I finished the project when I returned. However, based on my experience, I believe that someone with experience and all the required parts and tools on hand could do this in one work day or less (estimate 6-8 hrs.)

I may be missing a couple of items here or there, Ken Ridout's website that I gave a link to above will walk you through and highlight if I missed anything.

I have a few more things I plan to do ... I want to end up with something of a convertible 'ultra classic' that'll strip down to an approximation of the '58 FLH Duo Glide ...

Good luck, I am really pleased with the results so far and highly recommend the conversion.

R/
Priest

Attached Thumbnails Photos of my Dyna 'Electra Glide'-58-duo-glide-flh.jpg  

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 11-03-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2008 | 11:44 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Not trying to hijack your thread Priest, just had some pics of mine that I thought would help.

The 06 models do have the same stop on the neck that will need to be ground down.
Photos of my Dyna 'Electra Glide'-neck.jpg
Here is what my lower tree looked like once I got a reasonable turning radius.
Photos of my Dyna 'Electra Glide'-stops.jpg

Also, the 06 and newer DO NOT use the service loop. I found this out the hard way. I removed the rear fender and couldn't see it anywhere, then I read my HD service manual. D D D!

Old 11-03-2008 | 12:07 AM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ackman1968
Hey xbox, I don't know if Priest had this problem since his is an 05 but the Fat Boy trees do not fit well with the 06 and newer frame. The problem is the bottom bearing on the Fat Boy trees needs to be spaced away from the tree about .150". That leads to more mdifications to the tins or nacelle. I had to oblong the holes in my nacelle to get it to bolt up. That was no problem but it will also have to be done to the light bar if you want to run it as well as the brackets for a windshield or fairing.

Point is if you pay someone to do this it will cost you. If the shop you choose has never come across this it will be on your dime as they scratch their heads trying to make it work.

Looks awsome Priest! Are you going to keep the stock rear fender or switch it out for one from a touring model? I have one from a Road King I'm widening to fit mine. The deeper I get the more I wish I had an 05, looks like it would be a little closer to a "bolt on" set up.
Rick:

Just looked at your photos ... ya got that thing roadworthy yet?? I would like to actually just get a take off fender from a Deluxe--I love the tombstone and the close-in bullet-type turn signal bar. V-Twin Mfg makes a FL rear fender for the older model FXRs not sure if it'd be a bolt on for mine, but think I may eventually give it a try. The photo below is from Custom Chrome catalog, chap 16. Same fender I think ... goes for $114 on Discount Cycle Parts.

How's that working with the 'widening' of the Road King fender... ?? (I.e. how are you doing it? Cut it in half down the center and add a strip? Are you doing it yourself or someone for you?)

You need to post more photos on a thread and do a write-up of your conversion ... some good gouge above for anyone who's thinking about the project. What are your plans?

R/
Priest

Attached Thumbnails Photos of my Dyna 'Electra Glide'-ackman-s-dyna-conversion.jpg   Photos of my Dyna 'Electra Glide'-fxr-fender.jpg  

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 11-03-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Add fender photo
Old 11-03-2008 | 05:09 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Pretty cool.... You got me thinking.. Instead of buying a street glide, I might be able to get another front end, to swap out, just for winter time riding.. Certainly cheaper than another bike.....

Old 11-03-2008 | 07:43 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

is the model now a FXDSTFTRI
LOOKS GOOD!

Old 11-03-2008 | 08:58 AM
Stanger
Road Master

Very nice, very interesting.

Old 11-03-2008 | 10:24 AM
JRK5892
Banned

dig it man DIG IT!!!!

Old 11-03-2008 | 05:35 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

So far so good on widening the fender. I cut it down the middle, stuck it under my bench and haven't looked at it since. It was a cheap lightly damaged fender I figured if I screwed it up it would be no big loss. I will do a post with pictures and such as I get more time.

What did you do about the fork lock? I have an idea but I haven't started working on it yet.

Old 11-03-2008 | 05:56 PM
SURFOR Chop
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HGM
Pretty cool.... You got me thinking.. Instead of buying a street glide, I might be able to get another front end, to swap out, just for winter time riding.. Certainly cheaper than another bike.....
Although I had been thinking of this concept for quite a while, it was about a year ago when I was looking at trading in for a good, used, low-mile Road King that really put me onto the project in earnest. I'd have only gotten a little under $9,000 on my trade which (at the time) would've been "under water" on the loan. Then, when I considered the tax on the incremental deal, I'd have ended up owing over $20,000 (as I recall) on a year old bike. Sure it was in cherry condition, but still ....

Originally Posted by ackman1968
So far so good on widening the fender. I cut it down the middle, stuck it under my bench and haven't looked at it since. It was a cheap lightly damaged fender I figured if I screwed it up it would be no big loss. I will do a post with pictures and such as I get more time.

What did you do about the fork lock? I have an idea but I haven't started working on it yet.
Frankly, I never use the fork lock; but, when I was mocking up the forks, I recall that I tested it and it worked. I'll check this evening and report back.

R/
Priest

Old 11-03-2008 | 08:15 PM
Keeg
Tourer
Thumbs up

Nicely done Priest. Very unique Dyna. Thanks to you and Ackman for the " how to " posts. Please keep the information coming for those of us interested in doing this conversion.

Quick Reply: Photos of my Dyna 'Electra Glide'