Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Derby Cover Removal Saga continues.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Derby Cover Removal Saga continues.......

Guys,
Should have asked for expert advise here first as I finally got a T27 socket but I did too much damage with the T25 socket and have stripped a couple of the bolts. So I've learned my lesson to ask here first then try. So now, what is the best tool to use to remove the stripped bolt? Thanks.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:42 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ahh you have a few options... here ya go
1. get a dremil with a cutting wheel on the end, cut a line in the bolt so you can get a flat head screw driver in there
2. easy out
3. drill off the head, remove the cover, use vice grips to unscrew the rest of the thread
4. light the bike on fire call the insurance man...

just take it slow... i sugest the easy out... get the biggest one you can get to fit in there in there, pop it wiht a hammer and unscrew... if that does nto work go to #1... all else fails #3

Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

See if you can get an allen wrench that will fit in the hole and allow you to get a bite (sometimes you can hammer one into the hole). You might also be able to use an easy out if worse come to worse.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 with use the biggest EZ out you can. If you use one that is too small they aren't strong enough and tend to break. Then your saga gets really bad. Also, I've always had better luck with the reverse thread kind versus the square ones. Good Luck.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 PM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a T27 from the get go, but apparently the tool at the factory was set to gorilla torque and I stripped 3 out of 4 with the right tool!!

I used a combination of steps #1 and a hand impact driver. Took some really good whacks to get it started, too.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ooh ya you can get chrome replacement bolts from ace hardware... i would sugest a nice allen head set.. that is what i used

Old 10-30-2008, 06:45 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,862 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Another fix I've seen on these threads is to drill the heads off, remove the cover then use a small set of vise grips and twist the remaining stud out.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Default Finale

Joe,
Thanks for the expertise. My first try before I posted this thread was with a smaller easy out because I was concerned about taking out too much material or possibly damaging the mating threads. So with your advise used the largest one I could and got them out. So success and thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Hounds2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have stripped a couple of these out. always replace them with chrome allens. alot better. anyway, i just took a small chisel and with a small tap of the hammer they loosened right up. alot quicker and less hassle. harley should be ashamed of themselves for using the torx bolts anywhere. the pinch bolts on the forks are easy to strip out also, and alot harder to get loose as they are about 35 lbs torqued in. got to use some easy out there.

good luck..

scott

Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Goddahavit
Tourer

Let me know the size of the screws when you buy some, I want to replace my cover, and I'll go get the screws ahead of time.

And make sure I have the T27...

Quick Reply: Derby Cover Removal Saga continues.......