Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still have electrical problems. Take a look a my voltage regulator.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Still have electrical problems. Take a look a my voltage regulator.

I posted a couple weeks ago about my issues dealing with the blowing of my accessary fuse. It doesn't blow with just the ignition on, or with the bike running and idling. It only seems to blow while riding. I have traced wires and unplugged circuits throughout the entire electrical system trying to find the problem. EVERYTHING looks good. I do not have an I.Q. high enough to use a multimeter, but have someone who does avalable to help me next weekend.

Until then, look at my regulator. The soft gel or rubbery back has cracks. It feels like there may be wires embedded inside behind the larger cracks. Is this a sign of a problem or is this normal with age?

Working on an 06 FXDI.

This is frustrating the **** outta me.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:58 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ewww!

""Until then, look at my regulator. The soft gel or rubbery back has cracks. It feels like there may be wires embedded inside behind the larger cracks. Is this a sign of a problem or is this normal with age?" I would change it just for this; if it isn't failing now, it will soon. Internal regulator circuitry may be shorting. Is there any current DTC's such as P0562 (battery voltage low) or P0563 (battery voltage high) ?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:04 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the reply. I have a digital speedo/tach unit so codes are not displayed.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:01 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change that voltage regulator...

Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jmpancoast,
I am sure you understand some about a voltage reg. but I would be concerned about the cracks. This could be a sign of overheating, either from inside or excessive outside heat. Either way I would worry about electrical short either by direct grounding or even by way or tracking, as in carbon tracks that can develope in cars dist. caps (old school cars). Why risk major damage for an easy fix if you know what I mean.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:18 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

More feedback, opinions, and knowledge are certainly welcome.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

John, looks like the reg is toast, or will be soon. Whether its the source or the victim remains to be seen.
Are you still able to duplicate the fuse blow, or has it become more random?
As a thought, have you put the bike on a stand, tied it off, and run it through the gears with a VOM connected? A VTVM set on AC might help to diagnose this one.

I had a very strange thought when I saw the pic. Have you checked to see if you pinched a wire under the tank or seat? It will blow you away to see the hate and discontent that crushed insulation can do to an electrical system

Old 10-25-2008, 01:22 AM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. I wouldn't ride another mile with that regulator. Get that changed for sure then get yourself a wiring diagram and look at everything on the same circuit as that fuse just to be certain but it could easily be the regulator that is the whole cause.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:09 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A few tests for charging system

A few notes I made for my HD electrical class, it was made for various models so if it doesn't exactly match, just improvise it (i.e. three pins on stator, vice 2 for the half-wave)If the regulator is fried, best to check to make sure something else didn't cause it and you fry a new one:

1. SYSTEM ID:______________
38 amp: 2001& UP SOFTAIL/2004 DYNA, 3-phase 45 amp:1997-2005 ULTRA 50 amp: 2006 FLT 22 amp: XL exc. 2007 & up, 32 amp, full wave

2. MAX VOLTAGE:__________VDC (13.5-15VDC) {if the regulator is not functioning, you'll see values out of the listed range}
DVOM CONNECT TO BATTERY LEADS RUNNING REV TO 3K RECORD VALUE

3. STATOR OUTPUT: 1K__________VAC __________VAC __________VAC
2K__________VAC __________VAC __________ VAC
3K__________ VAC __________ VAC __________ VAC
(16-20, 32-40, & 48-60 VAC or 16-20 VAC per 1000 RPM) DVOM ON “VAC” CHECK AT STATOR DEUTCH FEMALE {3-phase: 1-2, 1-3,& 2-3} REV TO 3K RECORD EACH VALUE

4. STATOR RESISTANCE: 1-2_______ 1-3_______ 2-3_______(0.1-0.3 ohms)
KEY OFF DVOM TO “OHMS” CHECKING PINS 1-2, 1-3, & 2-3 RECORD VALUES

5. STATOR GROUND:_______OHMS (OFL)
KEY OFF DVOM TO “OHMS”RED LEAD TO PIN 1, 2, & 3 BLK LEAD TO GROUND RECORD VALUE

6. REGULATOR GROUND:_______OHMS (CONTINUITY)
RED LEAD TO REGULATOR (SCRAPE BLACK OFF INCONSPICUOUS SPOT TO BARE METAL) BLK LEAD TO GROUND RECORD VALUE

11. MILLI-AMP DRAW:_______ADC
DVOM TO “AMP” SETTING DVOM AT MAXI-FUSE or DISCONNECTED BATTERY (-) TERMINAL RED LEAD TO BATTERY (-) TOWER BLK LEAD TO BATTERY (-) CABLE KEY OFF RECORD VALUE

Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kk6pg
John, looks like the reg is toast, or will be soon. Whether its the source or the victim remains to be seen.
Are you still able to duplicate the fuse blow, or has it become more random?
As a thought, have you put the bike on a stand, tied it off, and run it through the gears with a VOM connected? A VTVM set on AC might help to diagnose this one.

I had a very strange thought when I saw the pic. Have you checked to see if you pinched a wire under the tank or seat? It will blow you away to see the hate and discontent that crushed insulation can do to an electrical system
The consistencies I have found so far:

When engine is not running and ignition is on, fuse does not blow.

When engine is running and idling, fuse does not blow.

While riding, fuse blows (sometimes with in seconds, sometime after 15 minutes)

No consistency noticed as to when it blows (such as during braking, turns, etc.)

My brother-in-law is a electronics type and is coming over today and bringing meters. I will be showing him the replies posted here.

THANKS!

Quick Reply: Still have electrical problems. Take a look a my voltage regulator.