Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late model Dyna Ignition Module location

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008 | 03:59 PM
BlockHead96
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Late model Dyna Ignition Module location

Where is the ignition module located on my Dyna? Is it considered the keyed ignition?

Old 10-23-2008 | 04:31 PM
wkdavistx
Tourer

It isn't the ignition switch where the key goes.
I'm not sure on an '08, but mine on a '00 is under the electrical cover on the left side (opposite the battery). It is actually behind a backing plate under the cover.
Not the easiest thing in the world to get to, but it isn't that difficult to replace either.

Old 10-23-2008 | 06:54 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm of the impression there isnt an ignition module, per se.
The ignition is computer controlled, and the sense wire goes straight to the twin coils. So I guess by definition, the coils would be the ign module. Anything else would be the other brain on the bike.

Old 10-23-2008 | 07:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

Follow plug wires from cylinders to coils. If you pull your seat off you may see the ECM, my ignition modules are behind the electrical panel that is held to the frame with bolts. Did that help any?

Old 10-24-2008 | 01:18 AM
BlockHead96
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Far more better info from you all than the HD Talking site, nothing but attitude from some of those clowns! My Service manual says nothing about a module so I had to ask. As some here know, I have issues with engine shut down at highway speeds and HD will do nothing about it, guess no one is able to know whats wrong let alone fix, so I'm on my own on this one! It shut down on me again Wed morning, twice! The second time around, I cycled the key to the on position, pressed the start button and got nothing! Didn't get the usual power to the fuel as you always hear it buzz when the key is turned on. Cycled the key again, pressed the starter and it fired up. This is why I'm now leaning toward the ignition. But first, I think I need to remove the turn signal/running light/ brake lite kit from HD. I'm wondering if by chance that may be interfering with the security system as the turn signals are part of the security system!!!! Everybody here has been great and ya don't blast people for asking questions!! Ol glider can KMA!!! If the Tonn Tonn sees this, he'll probably ban me over there! LOL. He likes the power, must be LDS!

Last edited by BlockHead96; 10-24-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-24-2008 | 01:23 AM
BlockHead96
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kk6pg
I'm of the impression there isnt an ignition module, per se.
The ignition is computer controlled, and the sense wire goes straight to the twin coils. So I guess by definition, the coils would be the ign module. Anything else would be the other brain on the bike.

It's possible too the coils could be bad! A lot of guessing and trial and error on parts replacing. Or, some kind of glitch in the ECM. If that were the case, no sense in using a MoCo ECM and time to completely change the system! NO piggy backs!

Last edited by BlockHead96; 10-24-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2008 | 07:04 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

Do you loose power to everything or just motor? Throwing any codes? What other mods fuel management etc?

Old 10-24-2008 | 08:16 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Default Dtc?

DTC's would probably steer you in the right direction; checked them? Isn't the bike under warranty? Sorry; you're stuck using the HD ECM unless you want to completely change out the whole EFI/security system and sensors to ??? The cam position sensor (used to be under right side engine cover) was discontinued and CKP used now for ignition timing to ECM for coil fire. FYI: Unhooking the turn signals will result in continuously throwing B1121/B1122 codes. Changing the ECM/TSSM will result in "no start" and/or security system issues since it will have to be password learned by the dealer on the Digital Tech.

Old 10-24-2008 | 11:26 AM
BlockHead96
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyna07custom
Do you loose power to everything or just motor? Throwing any codes? What other mods fuel management etc?

Just the motor. Only code that appears is ( no r 5P ) The first time it shut down, i got a brief CEL, it flashed on and off. When I went thru- the sequence of codes in the odo, the "P55PTb" the last letter in the code set, "b" showed the, ( no r 5P ) No one I've talked to knows what that is! On the second shut down of the day, only 22 miles latter, no CEL appeared. I checked codes again and now the first letter "P" in the code set, showed the same code as the last letter "b" in code set, ( no r 5P)

No other modes other than the turn sig/running light/brake light pig tail. I take that off today and test over the weekend. If this is the case, this item should have a disclaimer on the package as to not use with ECM bikes with security System!

Originally Posted by robzuc97
DTC's would probably steer you in the right direction; checked them? Isn't the bike under warranty? Sorry; you're stuck using the HD ECM unless you want to completely change out the whole EFI/security system and sensors to ??? The cam position sensor (used to be under right side engine cover) was discontinued and CKP used now for ignition timing to ECM for coil fire. FYI: Unhooking the turn signals will result in continuously throwing B1121/B1122 codes. Changing the ECM/TSSM will result in "no start" and/or security system issues since it will have to be password learned by the dealer on the Digital Tech.
Warranty is useless in this situation as the stealer isn't willing, as is SOAR, to get their hands in it. Their not willing to start changing a part at a time to see if it resolves the issue. Unless the bike is dead and down when it's brought in the shop, there is nothing wrong with it! I'm not unhooking the turn signals, jut removing the pig tail and reconnecting the harness back to stock configuration. Hopefully, this will fix the issue. I will know more this weekend.

Last edited by BlockHead96; 10-24-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2008 | 12:03 PM
Curz
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Just the motor. Only code that appears is ( no r 5P ) The first time it shut down, i got a brief CEL, it flashed on and off. When I went thru- the sequence of codes in the odo, the "P55PTb" the last letter in the code set, "b" showed the, ( no r 5P ) No one I've talked to knows what that is! On the second shut down of the day, only 22 miles latter, no CEL appeared. I checked codes again and now the first letter "P" in the code set, showed the same code as the last letter "b" in code set, ( no r 5P)

Just throwing this out there hoping to lead you in the right direction.

Looking at other info on DTC codes I noted that what you list as P55PT is actually PSSPT Taken further perhaps the (no r 5P) is actually (no r SP) which may be short for "no responce". As I stated, by no means sure of this info!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showp...78&postcount=4

Last edited by Curz; 10-24-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Late model Dyna Ignition Module location