Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late model Dyna Ignition Module location

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 02:13 PM
BlockHead96
|
Outstanding HDF Member

It may very well be as you stated. I believe it means No Response. The 5 in the 5P looks exactly like the number 5 in the readout and may well be an S! Does this maybe mean the ECM isn't reading the speedo? You must be correct as to the code set being the ( PSSPTb )

Thanks for the education!

Old 10-25-2008 | 02:50 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Default Pigtail? Dealer won't take bike?

"No other modes other than the turn sig/running light/brake light pig tail. I take that off today and test over the weekend." and "I'm not unhooking the turn signals, jut removing the pig tail and reconnecting the harness back to stock configuration." What mod was made to the turn signals (if any) or did you simply relocate the harness? Did these "mods" coincide with the engine problems? The turn signals are part of the TSSM curcuit and just changing to LED's (lower voltages at the bulb) can make the TSSM throw codes or act funky! The complete speedometer display reads "P-S-Sp-St" for the diagnostic mode. P=ECM, S=TSM/TSSM, Sp=speedometer, and St=tachometer (if not equipped, you get a "no rsp" or "no response"). If you are getting a "No rsp" for the letter "P" you have an ECM (such as loss of power to the ECM) or a connection issue between it and the speedometer otherwise it would either show "none" for no DTC then the part number or a current/historic code which should be showing up everytime you have these occurrances. The next time you have the bike running, try wiggling the individual wires at the ECM. If this kills it, it must be that connection. "Warranty is useless in this situation as the stealer isn't willing, as is SOAR, to get their hands in it. Their not willing to start changing a part at a time to see if it resolves the issue. Unless the bike is dead and down when it's brought in the shop, there is nothing wrong with it! Hopefully, this will fix the issue. I will know more this weekend." If you are demanding they repair-by-replacement, of course they won't! Parts that get sent to HD get tested and if it's good, they won't get warranty-pay for the work. They WILL take the bike and put it on the Digital Tech II, troublehoot, and repair the bike and, if a warrantable defect is found, replace and cover that. If you are wiring electrical parts on the bike yourself and it causes a problem, of course you have to pay for it yourself because you void the warranty.

Old 10-25-2008 | 03:29 PM
BlockHead96
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by robzuc97
"No other modes other than the turn sig/running light/brake light pig tail. I take that off today and test over the weekend." and "I'm not unhooking the turn signals, jut removing the pig tail and reconnecting the harness back to stock configuration." What mod was made to the turn signals (if any) or did you simply relocate the harness? Did these "mods" coincide with the engine problems? The turn signals are part of the TSSM curcuit and just changing to LED's (lower voltages at the bulb) can make the TSSM throw codes or act funky! The complete speedometer display reads "P-S-Sp-St" for the diagnostic mode. P=ECM, S=TSM/TSSM, Sp=speedometer, and St=tachometer (if not equipped, you get a "no rsp" or "no response"). If you are getting a "No rsp" for the letter "P" you have an ECM (such as loss of power to the ECM) or a connection issue between it and the speedometer otherwise it would either show "none" for no DTC then the part number or a current/historic code which should be showing up everytime you have these occurrances. The next time you have the bike running, try wiggling the individual wires at the ECM. If this kills it, it must be that connection. "Warranty is useless in this situation as the stealer isn't willing, as is SOAR, to get their hands in it. Their not willing to start changing a part at a time to see if it resolves the issue. Unless the bike is dead and down when it's brought in the shop, there is nothing wrong with it! Hopefully, this will fix the issue. I will know more this weekend." If you are demanding they repair-by-replacement, of course they won't! Parts that get sent to HD get tested and if it's good, they won't get warranty-pay for the work. They WILL take the bike and put it on the Digital Tech II, troublehoot, and repair the bike and, if a warrantable defect is found, replace and cover that. If you are wiring electrical parts on the bike yourself and it causes a problem, of course you have to pay for it yourself because you void the warranty.

Turn signal mod was the relocation kit. I cut rather than try to remove pins and replace, not as easy as the book states. Wires reconnected, soldered and heat shrink. Has shut down prior to relocation of signals. Digital Tech was used, no codes appear.

Old 10-25-2008 | 08:13 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

A couple of other ideas. There has been lot on these boards of loose battery cables causing shutdowns and if you have recently washed your bike water may have gotten in the plug to the ECM. Spray some water displacement on the plug, remove excess, plug in and test ride.

Old 10-27-2008 | 12:03 PM
BlockHead96
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Update:

Removed Turn signal/running light/brake light pig tail. Went on a 140 run, no shut down! This doesn't happen when I leave home on any kind of run, my suspicions are with that mod. Does this mean I found the cause?? I hope so, but I will wait longer to confirm my suspicions with a few more runs. If this is the case, the MoCo should put and advisement on that part that states this item may cause adverse running effects of the engine! Now, how may people are having issues with engine shut down that run this mod HD sells???? I hope people see this thread and remove that item from their bike to see if it resolves their engine shut down while riding issues! On the flip side, is this only a cause with bikes with the security system?? I have the security system! If so, maybe it's sending low or high signals back to the ECM and the security system interprets it as the security system being activated? Don't really know!

Old 10-27-2008 | 04:50 PM
HELDVR
Cruiser

I bumped by kill switch once and killed the engine. Don't think I had fully engaged it when starting. Maybe you have a switch problem?

Good luck!

Old 10-27-2008 | 07:08 PM
BlockHead96
|
Outstanding HDF Member

No switch problem. So far, it's the light mod interfering with the Security system.