Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 440 Shocks Vs. Mystery Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008 | 01:09 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jay Risk
Rounder, I didn't make my point clear- the Progressive's were better than the OEM's, but they only provided one kind of adjustment- spring preload. I adjusted for my riding and found the right setting on the preload for me. My wife and I took several trips- Deals Gap, Lake Michigan Loop, etc from Chicago, and we hauled camping gear. On those trips I increased the preload so we were riding on shocks that worked the majority of time in the "middle third" of their full travel ranger and didn't bottom out. That's roughly what the goal is with any shock, though as I learn more about suspensions I suspect that rule will get thrown out the window, too. The only adjustment Progressive HD 440's permit is spring preload, and it helped. It just wasn't as good as can be, and that's the point for me. To find the best ride I can for the ride I take. I'd be on the bike 12 months out of the year, if I didn't live in Chicago! but I push it as far as I can, and I want the best ride I can afford.
Hope this helps explain where I'm comin from. Ride safe. Jay
yeah i just wanted to clear up that you did adjust the preload on them and set em up. I assumed you did but wanted to be sure just in case.It helps me to better understand how you are comparing the two...
I firmly believe that a more adjustable shock is definately superior to a less adjustable one. I miss having rebound adjustments like on my old Suzuki.
now if someone could please pry the manufacturer of these shocks out of Howard we can all check out the company, their products, and decide to test them out ourselves.
In a year or two when my 11" progressives are tired and out of waranty I will be getting a more adjustment friendly better shock than my 412's. It will be cool to know that there are reasonably priced choices out there to consider.
I definately would have rolled with works performance over progressives, but did not want to spend that much money yet.

Last edited by rounder; 10-24-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2008 | 01:24 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Default Read Shocks

they could be Works Performance, I have black adjustable on one of my Sportsters, need to change the spring --gained weight, cost a lot more than the $400.00 one poster mentioned

Looking into a set of "good" shocks for wife's Bob, in the past she was happy with Progressives on her Sportster,

I do not ride my 07 FXD hard enough to really need performance shocks---BUT I want'm

Old 10-24-2008 | 03:18 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default To the members

I have been working on 2 members bikes and have a deadline. I need to focus on what I am doing so my time is limited. Jay received a set of shocks (New) that I bought retail, re-valved, re-shimmed, & a custom machined piston designed for his weight & riding style was installed. I also bought 2 sets of springs (different weight value) for Jay. The bodies were from a YSS family. Gas emulsified. There are many shocks equal to these testers once you do your own research. The quality lies within the information provided and the person who designs the shock for you.

I will re-visit this post if there is any interest once I get a chance as all I am doing is working & going to bed.

To answer some of the comments briefly. I deal with suspension every day. I have been riding for a while now except for my time in Viet Nam. I have always worked on my bike. Back then there was very few aftermarket parts to buy so you made your own, sometime you won some time you loose. With that said:

If you read my posts concerning this subject you will find that I:
1- Clearly pointed out I do not sell Budget suspension.
2- I stated this was not about selling but learning about suspension. This is for you, HDF members.
a. My take on a chat site is to exchange information and help others.
b. I have future plans to take photos and explain how different components work together and why some products work better than others if anyone is interested.
c. I have to buy these Budget parts or have them donated locally. We do not have customers with this suspension to take off these parts when broken. This takes time to round these parts up.
d. The original purpose of my posting is take a blind test with a person with no outside influence to give a true and fair evaluation of like priced shocks equivalent to Progressive Model 440 I.A.S. JP Cycle $534.99 and a shock (there are many, many) lesser known but like priced shocks.
e. This subject matter is to enrich your life only and make you a more informed motorcycle enthusiast.
f. I do this to with the knowledge there is no monetary benefit for me. Everyone should help others for the good for all.
g. If you are a negative person, move on and kick rocks.

I have read many posts concerning my efforts and expenditures. I wish to answer a few of them now.

(not negative but a spot to respond) WDR Please hang on for a while and your questions can be answered for you by you. The purpose of my effort is to expose you (all HDF members) to a broader understanding of all suspension, what is inside of these units, what the differences in all of the systems (ie. air adjust, hydraulic, gas, & separated systems) and what is best suited for you. To be plain, it will be up to you to make your own choice once armed an understanding of a product.

5 mile smile, You have answered this post repetitively with negativity and clearly with no basis or understanding of this product. Every member here has an opinion and are entitled to it, however, after reading all 52 posts from 5 mile smile, not one of them was over 2 sentences long, none contained any technical or helpful information other than who is or is not gay or who is his favorite 1% motorcycle gang actor. I am sure if someone needs to know who is gay I feel confident you would be the right person to go to. In place of posting negatively, just move on.

rounder, You have been posting your views and on 440’s and explaining how good they are. I for one wish for you to post your views and supply actual usable information to add to your experiences on this subject, also include how these 440 Progressive shocks work better and are the leader in performance. Please send me a photo so I can host on my web site or post here for all members to benefit from such as: what is inside of them with circles and arrows. It will be helpful if you can point out what qualities these components have, exactly. I am open to all avenues of information and listen to everyone.

docsg Q: “how did he know you blew the shock in the first place” A> I knew Jay Risk from a previous venture. I learned of Jay’s problem through this form as I read all of the posts (when I can) concerning technical questions and the actual issues experienced with riding a bike. Jay Risk did not call me but I called him to help. As many members will tell you, I do this frequently when warranted. You may read past posts or search for yourself. It is easy.

glide05, Q: “really need to get a feeling for what the life expectancy is/size” A>Any of the shocks that are actual shocks can be re-built and will last a lifetime. There is service centers available. These shocks are made from extrusions and are machined. They are not pressed steel. All of the good shocks come in either 1/4” to ˝” increments.

r00k Q: “I want a set!” A> Once you are finished you can order them for yourself and you can get the features you really need yourself.

MidnitEvil Q: “I don't believe you.”

I believe only a man would stand in front of another before calling member Jay Risk a liar. If you can not find Jays address please go to my site and stop on by the address provided. Please talk to me in person in the same manor you post. I believe you should have more respect for others and know who you are talking to before making false accusations or in the same manor you have in the past. I guarantee you do not do it in person or around your own town where someone actually can speak to you, only on the keyboard.

Old 10-24-2008 | 03:54 PM
Jay Risk
|
Tourer
Thumbs up Thank you, Howard

Howard, I don't think you did this work on educating me(and Forum members) about suspension issues for the thank you, but I want to say it publicly anyway- thank you. We've never met- I have a conference in Orlando in Feb and maybe that will change- but I know a friend from a distance. You love bikes and you know what makes them ride right. Thanks for sharing the knowledge that you've earned over the years with us. I'm a more informed rider because of it.
BTW, now I'm wondering about force vs velocity curves and linear, digressive and velocity dependent pistons and bleed.... but I've got another good 10 years to figure that out! Jay

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:05 PM
docsg
Tourer

Originally Posted by icecaps
Howard Messner is the one that originally developed the dual brake system that JayRisk is using on his bike. He owns Motorcycle Metal, is a site sponsor, and works on and upgrades Harley suspensions for a living.
Thanks for the info--that was never mentioned in the lead post to this thread. I guess dumbasses like me should have known that. No jab at you--it just seemed I had gone to the theatre and come in to the middle of the movie after reading the original post. I try to patronize site sponsor-i.e.-I have bought a Super Brace and order things from other sponsors as well.

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:28 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FastHarley

MidnitEvil Q: “I don't believe you.”

I believe only a man would stand in front of another before calling member Jay Risk a liar. If you can not find Jays address please go to my site and stop on by the address provided. Please talk to me in person in the same manor you post. I believe you should have more respect for others and know who you are talking to before making false accusations or in the same manor you have in the past. I guarantee you do not do it in person or around your own town where someone actually can speak to you, only on the keyboard.
Uhmm... I'm pretty sure that MidnitEvil was only JOKINGLY trying to score a free set of mystery shocks. Take it easy FastHarley. We all appreciate you sharing your vast knowlege of suspension with us (and you will be the first person that I ask when I have a question), but I think you come off as having a slight god complex. I almost feel like Yoda is trying to get us all to find the force inside ourselves. I for one admit that I know less than you have already forgotten about shocks; but straight answers rather than scripture to the kindom of (shock) heaven will sit better with most of us. That being said...thanks again!

Old 10-24-2008 | 04:36 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

rounder, You have been posting your views and on 440’s and explaining how good they are. I for one wish for you to post your views and supply actual usable information to add to your experiences on this subject, also include how these 440 Progressive shocks work better and are the leader in performance. Please send me a photo so I can host on my web site or post here for all members to benefit from such as: what is inside of them with circles and arrows. It will be helpful if you can point out what qualities these components have, exactly. I am open to all avenues of information and listen to everyone.

perhaps you should read what was said and not what you have misinterperted... I for one stand by the fact that there are lots better shocks than 440's or 412's.. They come at a significant price increase...For the money they are a fine choice and do improve one's ride over stock! That people buy them does not make them "morons".
Funny think about your mystery shock... It's not even a off the shelf shock.. really now that the cats out of the bag all you did was prove that You can build a better shock than progressive by custom tailoring it for a rider!
Anyways there is still nothing wrong with progressives and really I had hoped that this post would show us that there is a better, more adjustable shock out there for more money. In the end it turns out you just made a custom modified shock for a member.
Still suggesting that there are better shocks out there and we just have to "do our reasearch" is awful poor at proving your point.
We end up at square one where there is no proven shock out there that will hands down provide better performance for the dollar than progressive. There are shocks much better... you just gotta pay for em.

I have utmost respect for your knowledge on this and think your product and website are top notch, unfortunately, you are still not providing a convincing enough argument that you can get a better shock for the money off the shelf. I don't need to provide any info. about the internals of progressive or even prove their superiority. ( I don't really care if they are superior or not. I do know they do the job better than my old stock shocks and as such I can recommend them as an improvement over what I had). Testimonial by god knows how many members of this forum and many others is enough to tell people that their shocks work as well. As an end user I just want a shock that does it's job and my 412's do theirs and other members 440's do their job as well.
Would I like a little more adjustability to fine tune and improve my 412's a little bit...Sure but not for 5x the price!

Old 10-24-2008 | 05:02 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Old 10-24-2008 | 06:31 PM
dyna mo
Banned

5 mile smile, You have answered this post repetitively with negativity and clearly with no basis or understanding of this product. Every member here has an opinion and are entitled to it, however, after reading all 52 posts from 5 mile smile, not one of them was over 2 sentences long, none contained any technical or helpful information other than who is or is not gay or who is his favorite 1% motorcycle gang actor. I am sure if someone needs to know who is gay I feel confident you would be the right person to go to. In place of posting negatively, just move on.
i'm flattered you took time out of your crazy schedule to read ALL my posts and make me the 1st person you lashed out on, messner

thank you.

all that due to these innoucous comments i made, which are all I've said

Originally Posted by 5 mile smile
what I don't understand is why does that ONE poster's test mean so much when a dozen people are in here saying progressive shocks are better than stock based on their tests. it makes zero sense to discount every one of those comments and put 100% finality on the one guy's.
sure, progressives are not as good as the customized penske shocks (which are made for a car btw and have to be fully rebuilt for a motorcycle) but are the penske's 5x better? no.
this topic is getting mad views! 3200+

great advertising.......
as for if i know who is gay and who is not, sure ok. the difference with me is i'm wise enough to know it's childish to think calling someone gay is a putdown.

Last edited by dyna mo; 10-24-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2008 | 07:17 PM
luckyB
Road Captain

Jay received a set of shocks (New) that I bought retail, re-valved, re-shimmed, & a custom machined piston designed for his weight & riding style was installed. I also bought 2 sets of springs (different weight value) for Jay. The bodies were from a YSS family. Gas emulsified. There are many shocks equal to these testers once you do your own research.
Can you name a couple off the shelf shocks that are equal (i.e. performance, quality, price) to your custom testers?

Quick Reply: Progressive 440 Shocks Vs. Mystery Shocks