Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take the battery out of trickle charge??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:12 PM
muleman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take the battery out of trickle charge??

what do you guys do.. leave the battery in the bike and trickle charge in the cold garage during the winter??? or
take it out and put it a nice warm house and trickle charge every now and then???

Been through tooo many batteries to buy yet another next year..

Old 10-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had a problem with any of my batteries and I leave it on the bike and trickle charge it with one of those so called 'intelligent' battery optimisers / chargers. Mines an OptiMate III for the record. My stealer delivered the bike with a cable already installed to plug a charger into. I leave it on all winter and occaisionally wheel the bike out and start it and run it for 30 mins or so before tucking it back up again.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i leave my in the bike too. it's in where it is warm i have the slip on connect i dont start it enless i ride.if it looks like i wont ride for month or two i shoot some two stroke oil in on the pistons. wait til i can ride.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Keep in bike

I keep the battery in the bike also, but the bike is in my basement where it is about 60 degrees F all year around. I rode every month last year including Dec, Jan, Feb so it stays in the bike. I use the trickle charger every once in a while and charge until the light turns green and then unplug. I just don't like leaving it plugged in without me there.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 AM
Lone Wolf In Canada
Intermediate

I store mine in my (cold) garage during the Ontario winters and leave the battery in with an automatic trickle charger plugged into the battery plug that was on the bike when I bought it new from the dealer. It's a 1.5 amp charger. Make sure you use an automatic...as the manual ones won't shut off. I've never seen the chargers green light change to red but for the last 3 years every spring she starts right up no problems.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leave it on my bike..... use a Battery Tender that I bought at a local shop for $25.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I leave mine in garage, in bike connected to a maintainer. Not to disparage, but a trickle charger is not a maintainer. IMHO, it is just a steady charger at a reduced rate.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I remove the battery, place in my warm basement on wood incase it seeps. Then come time to bring back up I check voltage and install. Still on the factory battery when I bought the bike 9-2005. I use no charger, have yet to see it drop where I need to charge it after sitting for months.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Don51
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take mine out of the bike and put it down in the basement on wood. I'll hook it up to the trickle charge evry couple of weeks or so and leave it on for a day.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i leave mine in... i have got the trickle charger from harbor freight on all my bikes, i cut off the aligator clips, solder on some round wire conectors, and then do a quick release conection... you can just plug them in in no time! works great and cost 6 bucks!

Quick Reply: Take the battery out of trickle charge??