Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Milpitas FXST
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Oil Change question

Hello to all, I going to change my oil and filter on a softail standard 07. Does the engine need to be warm? and drain the engine oil or just the tank? Please help
thank you

Old 10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Lone Wolf In Canada
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should warm your bike to operating temperature, then the fluids will drain quicker and remove sediment better. The drain location should be shown in your owners manual for the Softail, I'm not sure what you mean about the engine oil or the tank? Drain the oil and it comes from the tank reservoir and most from the engine, then fill according to the manual the amount stated. Go a little less than it states and check the amount then you'll know if you're getting close to full, if you overfill use a kitchen baster to suck some out of the tank. Don't forget to always change the filter when you change the oil or it's not really changed! I always put a little oil in the filter before I screw the new filter on to help it circulate faster when it first starts up.
Good luck. You'll be saving a lot of money rather than the dealer doing this once you learn how to change your own fluids.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:55 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Oil Change

If the oil is warm it will drain faster and you will get more of it out. Not sure about draining the oil tank on a softail.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You drain the tank. Don't try and pull the engine plug, there is a chance you might crack your cases. It is not an oil drain plug! You will find the drain plug is in the frame below the oil tank. Please do yourself a favor and get a shop manual!!!