Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide sliders on mid-glide?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008 | 10:51 AM
TOMMAY
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Wide Glide sliders on mid-glide?

I've been running WG tubes on the regular Street Bob sliders. Had an accident that bent the right tube,replaced both tubes and used the original sliders. Right slider is leaking. Tech thinks the slider may have been damaged internally and may have to be replaced if a new seal doesn't fix the problem. In case the one slider has to be replaced I bought a set of chrome sliders from a Harley dealer on e-bay for a hundred ten bucks which is almost a give away. My sliders now are hand polished but not chromed.

Here's the rub. The brake side slider on a WG has a different part number from the brake side on a mid-glide. Right side has same part number. Looking at the parts they appear to be identical. Harley parts guys don't know why there is a difference. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Good Luck

Tom

Old 10-19-2008 | 12:00 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

I'd think it would have something to do with the brake mount spacing.

Look up the calipers and see if they are the same or not...or see if there is a different mount.

Maybe the WG has a bigger diameter disc and has to be mounted out further?

Be nice to have them side by side to compare...go to the dealer with a tape measure and start checking it out!

Old 10-19-2008 | 01:59 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member

WILL NOT WORK. the spacing to the standoffs where you mount the caliper to are different lengths, so if you use a wdg slider for a narrow glide front end, the caliper will not align right to the rotor. but you can use narrow glide sliders with the wdg front end just need to add spacers. but cant use wdg sliders for a narrow glide front end. jackyl

Old 10-19-2008 | 02:04 PM
TOMMAY
|
Stellar HDF Member

Thought about that. Front caliper has same part number for all models. Believe the WG hub is wider putting the rotor in the same position as a regular Dyna relative to the slider.

Thanks

Tom

Old 10-19-2008 | 03:02 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member

or you can change to the wdg front end like i did. totally changes the bike for the better

Old 10-19-2008 | 04:12 PM
TOMMAY
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jackyl
WILL NOT WORK. the spacing to the standoffs where you mount the caliper to are different lengths, so if you use a wdg slider for a narrow glide front end, the caliper will not align right to the rotor. but you can use narrow glide sliders with the wdg front end just need to add spacers. but cant use wdg sliders for a narrow glide front end. jackyl
jackyl,I understand what you're saying and I'm certainly no machinist but I just cant see the difference.

A straight edge laid across the outer edge of the fender supports aligns with the inner edge of the caliper support on both the WG and SB slider. The measurment from the bottom machined pad on the lower caliper support to the upper edge of the upper fender support bolt hole measures the same. When you hold up the new slider next to the old slider they appear the same. Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see the physical difference.

Would love to go the the WG trippletrees just not the right time financially for me.

Thanks

Tom

Old 10-19-2008 | 04:43 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member

the hole pattern will be the same. but the standoffs are located in a different location on the slider, more towards the wheel and/or the standoffs are thicker or thinner. the wdg slider postions the cailper more towards the wheel, the caipler will be in the same position, but more towards the wheel. if the standoffs are the same thickness. then look down the center of the wdg sliders with the standoffs straight up, then look down the narrow glide slider and you will notice that they are postioned different. jackyl

Old 10-19-2008 | 05:41 PM
TOMMAY
|
Stellar HDF Member

Done that,measures the same,fender supports are obviously the same on both since the right side is idential part number. Caliper mounting pads measure the same thickness and are in the same position relative to the fenders support pads as indicated by the straight edge. Damifino.

Old 10-19-2008 | 08:14 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

The Wide Glide caliper mounting tabs position the caliper more inboard, about .130".

Old 10-19-2008 | 11:16 PM
TOMMAY
|
Stellar HDF Member

Damn,that's over an eighth,sure doesn't look like it. Wonder if I could have a 130 thou machined off and use a shorter caliper bolt?