Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008 | 03:23 PM
Hd fanatikz
|
Banned
Default transmission issues

i took my 06 superglide to the stealer because my engine was misfiring really bad and the transmission makes weird noises. they told me that the engine had some how gotten out of sync with the trans. they said they need to remove the engine and tranny and resync them. any ideas before i pay them tons of money to do this.

Old 10-16-2008 | 03:28 PM
wkdavistx
Tourer

Sounds like BS to me. The only way they are linked is through the primary and even if it slipped a tooth on one of the sprokets because of a loose primary chain, the engine will still turn the tranny. There is no "timing" between the engine and tranny like there is between a crank and cams.
If what you are telling us is correct, they are trying to get money out of you... and they charge a LOT of money to pull a motor and tranny.

Old 10-16-2008 | 03:38 PM
Hd fanatikz
|
Banned

that's weird. yeah right here on the estimate it says " customer states engine misfires and transmission whines at idle. engine out of sync. recommend engine/trans sync. 12hrs. $1100 labor, $175 parts." i wonder whats really goin on

Old 10-16-2008 | 03:38 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Go to another dealer and/or an independent Harley shop and get a second opinion.

Old 10-16-2008 | 03:41 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

How does the transmission whine "at idle???" Whether a motorcycle or car, (a) there's no "synchronization" between engine and transmission; and (b) if the transmission is in neutral or if the transmission is in gear but the clutch is pulled in/depressed, the transmission mainshaft won't even be rotating - so how can it "whine?" Someone is trying to rip you off big time. Get a second and third opinion.

Old 10-16-2008 | 03:51 PM
Hd fanatikz
|
Banned

well i just talked to the dealer and they recommended i trade it in. i got pretty mad at them and told them their techs are a bunch of monkeys and their service writer is a crook. i told them i wont trade it in because i love it. so i am going to call HD tomorrow and tell them about my experiences with the dealer

Old 10-16-2008 | 04:04 PM
Slipstrm
Road Master

Sounds like a scam to me too.

Old 10-16-2008 | 04:22 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ALL BS!!! Ask them to show you a diagram of how a motor will sync to the tranny... it is gears! they are lie'n I woudl also call MOCO and speak to them about this issue... they have been cracking down on dealers that are ripping people off. HD is starting to get a bad name for service and the aftermarket world is taking the $$ away... SO HD is trying to fix this

Old 10-16-2008 | 04:31 PM
Bluesrider
Tourer

I would take your complaint to HD's main office. I had a similar issue with an a-hole dealer that was trying to take me to the bank. Long story shot, HD had this dealer call me the next morning before the sun came up, to see when they could come by and get my bike. They fixed it that day and I was riding home at 5 later that day. Trust me, the MOCO will take your complaint seriously and make this right.

Good Luck!
Justin

Last edited by Bluesrider; 10-16-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2008 | 04:42 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by Hd fanatikz
i took my 06 superglide to the stealer because my engine was misfiring really bad and the transmission makes weird noises. they told me that the engine had some how gotten out of sync with the trans. they said they need to remove the engine and tranny and resync them. any ideas before i pay them tons of money to do this.
Yup , they need to be timed. This is done by placing the tooth of the sprocket in the space provided by the chain.
Ron

Quick Reply: transmission issues