Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powder vs. paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default powder vs. paint ?

is there any benefit to painting tins flat or gloss black vs just powder coating them?
I would think powder would be the better choice on flat black(or even gloss) for the durablility factor and resistance to scratches and nicks.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:06 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've heard the gloss looks like crap...something about powdercoat over a large area not looking good. I'd think a denim look in powdercoat would be great though.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

powder can be wet sanded then polished out like paint leaving a smooth finish.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if your wanting gloss... i would think paint and clear coat would give you more protection than powder. but i'm no expert!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rockon
I've heard the gloss looks like crap...something about powdercoat over a large area not looking good. I'd think a denim look in powdercoat would be great though.
ha ha ha NOT TRUE... how do you explain rims and wheels... that is a large surface... man honestly, powder them... man you can get a shine better than paint and it is WAY more durrable! find a good powder coater and you will be blown away by the results!.. powder is WAY tuffer than paint and much less chance to scratch or chip or whatever else you can throw at it... it can handle chemicals like GAS much better as well.. if you need pics of tanks i have done i can find them for you... eihter that or just do a google images search... TONS out there... you can even powder a color and then CLEAR powder over it

Last edited by JRK5892; 10-16-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JRK5892
you can even powder a color and then CLEAR powder over it
clear powder, cool.... imagine a raw unnpainted finish then clear powder
sweet ideas

Old 10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
JRK5892
Banned

yep plus it will not yellow in UV... I am actually starting a tank like that next month for a CAFE project i am doing for a buddy

Old 10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
markrumsfield
Tourer

Is powder coating, black in particular more supseptable to minor surface scratches? Im not talking like droped a screwdriver on it type of scratch but from say a bike cover rubing against it or wiping with a cloth when there is some dust on the surface. Stuff that clear coat usualy sort of protects against.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:25 PM
JRK5892
Banned

will withstand surface abrasions much better than paint... HD uses a water based clear... that is why it SUCKS and scratches so easy!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:20 PM
markrumsfield
Tourer

Originally Posted by JRK5892
will withstand surface abrasions much better than paint... HD uses a water based clear... that is why it SUCKS and scratches so easy!

Ok so retarded question but when you say water based clear, are you talking about stock parts on say a nightster that are black like wheels, fork lowers etc. I didnt realize HD even used a clear coat on powder coated parts. Stupid question 2, is it the norm for powder coaters to clear over the powder coat, or do you have to ask for it? I always assumed they just powder coat and thats it thats your finish. Lastly if you get scratches in Powder Coat can you buff them out like paint or you just stuck with them. Reason Im asking is Im considering throwing some $$ at my bike in a couple of months and Im considering haveing tins painted or having some parts powdercoated and I wanna be happy with which ever I do. Thanks for the info btw...

Quick Reply: powder vs. paint ?