Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

powder vs. paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More resistant to gas???

I must have gotten a crappy powder coat job on my tank, cause the smallest drop burned into the finish and spread into a big dull greyish spot on my tank. Othan then that, it looks good. I do know that the guy who did it didn't do all the prep work that "Powdercoater" does in his shop. I might have to start mailing parts to him or Joe Knapp.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
will withstand surface abrasions much better than paint... HD uses a water based clear... that is why it SUCKS and scratches so easy!
There aren't really any water based clears out there yet. Even the water based automotive paints (like those being used in Europe, Canada and California) have some solvent. Either way, the water or solvent evaporates, so, it has no impact on the durability of the product.

We sell a scratch resistant clear, SRC1, which is mandated by some OEM's. (There's a second version, SRC2, specifically for Nissan specs). I think when I paint my bike this winter, I'm going to clear it with this. Cool stuff... heals itself with heat - scratch it or scuff it up, let it sit in the sun a few hours, and the scratch or scuff is gone. Of course, if you want to buff it out after you shoot it, you better get on it as soon as allowed, otherwise, you can pretty much forget it. All the automotive paint manufacturers have some version of this.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:14 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Originally Posted by markrumsfield
Ok so retarded question but when you say water based clear, are you talking about stock parts on say a nightster that are black like wheels, fork lowers etc. I didnt realize HD even used a clear coat on powder coated parts. Stupid question 2, is it the norm for powder coaters to clear over the powder coat, or do you have to ask for it? I always assumed they just powder coat and thats it thats your finish. Lastly if you get scratches in Powder Coat can you buff them out like paint or you just stuck with them. Reason Im asking is Im considering throwing some $$ at my bike in a couple of months and Im considering haveing tins painted or having some parts powdercoated and I wanna be happy with which ever I do. Thanks for the info btw...
There is a clear powder coat that can be applied over any other powder. It does the same thing as clear paint, i.e. adds gloss and depth to the finish. Clear is NOT required over most powders but there are some that must be top coated. One example is that some metallic powders use aluminum flake rather than a synthetic and must be top coated with a clear or candy powder to protect the flake from oxidizing. There are other reasons but I'm not gonna go into all of them.

Powder coat IS a paint. It's formulated and applied a little different than liquid paint but it should be treated and maintained just like the paint on your car. It can be wet sanded and buffed just like liquid paint to give you that perfectly flat high gloss finish like a high dollar paint job. Of course, you can also buff out minor scratches too.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:48 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Local guy here has done some powder for me, but he is used to doing industrial stuff....so I had the tank and fender on my bobber painted, and let him powder the frame oil tank and battery box in gloss black....turned out pretty good.

On my DYNA, I had the fender struts and front fender powder coated black krinkle and it turned out great!

You guys that actually use the special bondo and filler etc. that allow you to block sand parts....wish you would have been around here, as I think Powdercoating is always superior to conventional paint.

~Joe

Old 10-17-2008, 07:44 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hare's a few questions... if I do a flat black do you have to be careful about shiny spots developing like with the denim on stock harley paints?
also can it be waxed without getting shiny?
what about surfaces scratched can it be wet sanded and buffed like gloss and still maintain the flat look?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:32 AM
powdercoater
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rounder
hare's a few questions... if I do a flat black do you have to be careful about shiny spots developing like with the denim on stock harley paints?
also can it be waxed without getting shiny?
what about surfaces scratched can it be wet sanded and buffed like gloss and still maintain the flat look?
Yes, no and no. Flat finishes are the exact same no matter if it's paint, powder coat or plastic. If you rub them hard they will shine. They will eventually even back out but you sure don't want to purposely buff them. Wax will only shine them as well.

The best thing to do for flat finishes as far as cleaning goes, no matter paint or powder, is soapy water and light to medium pressure. Surface scuffs or light scratches will even out the more the whole part gets cleaned.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

any idea what powder coating costs?

Old 10-18-2008, 05:33 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by powdercoater
Yes, no and no. Flat finishes are the exact same no matter if it's paint, powder coat or plastic. If you rub them hard they will shine. They will eventually even back out but you sure don't want to purposely buff them. Wax will only shine them as well.

The best thing to do for flat finishes as far as cleaning goes, no matter paint or powder, is soapy water and light to medium pressure. Surface scuffs or light scratches will even out the more the whole part gets cleaned.
thanks for the help...
my main area of concern ultimately is the 2 up pillion on my new seat.
I don't want the fender to scratch as easily as the paint will.
this is what gave me the idea to powdercoat in the first place.
now if the area does get scratched what can be done. on a painted fender you can easily light sand then shoot some flat paint and good as new.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:37 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you can sand and buff powder as well bud... if your seat is scratching like that you should look into some flet pads though for your seat

Old 10-18-2008, 11:05 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JRK5892
you can sand and buff powder as well bud... if your seat is scratching like that you should look into some flet pads though for your seat
should have been more clear... flat powdercoat.
I do not have the seat yet however I have read of many scratching their fender with a pillion... I have bought the mustang tripper solo and pillion. there probably less prone to scratch than the H-D seats but I am just covering all bases just in case.

Quick Reply: powder vs. paint ?