Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

am i screwed with these pipes?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:23 PM
jordanball33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i screwed with these pipes?????

i just bought a set of vance and hines short shots, ive herd nothing but good things about them, while at my local dealer today discussing cables, i mentioned about my pipes i ordered, and asked if i had to have it re-mapped if i only do these pipes. he said that i should leave the pipes in the box until i can buy a stage 1 air cleaner, and a PCIII. is this right? or is he trying to make a sell? ive herd that you only have to do the PC or fuel pac if you do the high flow air filter. as for now, i only want the pipes for the look and to be louder, if performance isnt up to par i understand. but i dont want to mess up anything. im going to get the complete package soon, but now im just itching to get these pipes on and just get by until i can afford the PC and air cleaner. Please help.... I just wanna get by. Thanks

Old 10-14-2008, 01:30 PM
farm01
Advanced

no. with just pipes no even if you install new a/c they can do a stage 1 download,not great but will do.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AIM (american iron mag) says you can do just pipes on the new EFI... but it hasnt been out long enough to stand the test of time. more than likely your bike will run, but how good will it run? are you going to be able to tell if its running good enough? is it going to run good for 1 minute, 1 hour, or 100 years??? thats the big concern. i would rather know my bike is running its best than not know at all...

hell thats why they make credit cards

Old 10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are wanting a better running bike, (more performance and cooler) then give some thought to completing your pipes addition with a high flow air cleaner and a good fuel management system. Arlen Ness makes a great AC called a Big Sucker and the Power Commander III is what I install on bikes for fuel management. Yes you can just add the pipes but you will not see as much of a change as if you add the A/C and fuel management.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

+1 on all the posts.

This is an area where you don't want to be cheap. PCIII is an awesome fuel management device, but you can get by with a FuelPak as well. It's cheaper and does the job. I went with the Short Shots, FuelPak, and the VO2 air cleaner. Pretty decent set up in my opinion.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran Big Radius pipes for several months with no other mods, it was good.
I would'nt hesitate to do it again.
After the addition of the Big Sucker and a FuelPak its really good.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:40 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The real question is, is it going to run lean. You should check your plugs after you put them in to make sure it isn't running lean. The last thing you want to do is skimp on spending money, put the pipes on, run it lean and have a bill for a whole lot more later.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:56 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Bluesssman, what kind of Dyna is that in your signature picture?

Old 10-14-2008, 05:39 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll throw you a little conventional automotive wisdom here. Take it as you want...

The rich/lean thing is not going to change in any noticable way by simply changing the exhaust. If it did, the EFI system will adjust for it. What everyone is talking about is just the fact that you wont see maximum performance by doing just the pipes... You bought them, want them on the bike, then put them on the bike and enjoy.. When you have a bit more cash, then, the air cleaner and program will need to be done at the same time. You will be changing incoming airflow and volume, which will definitly change air fuel ratios.. Enjoy it and dont worry would be my advise..

Old 10-14-2008, 06:02 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain

i had my short shots on my bike for almost a year before i added a fulpak and a/c. the bike ran fine.

Quick Reply: am i screwed with these pipes?????