Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone take the baffles out of short shots

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:02 PM
lhcstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone take the baffles out of short shots

has anyone taken the baffles out of there vance and vines short shot stagggerd? does it make a diffrence in performance?

Old 10-11-2008, 08:04 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You will lose low end and midrange power. If you wnat it a bit louder or deeper get some big city thunder baffles.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:14 PM
lhcstreetbob
Road Captain

Thanks i think im getting used to the sound they dont seem that loud anymore. im thinking about getting a thunderheader but in the mean time i was thinking about taking them out thanks

Old 10-11-2008, 08:33 PM
DiggerD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run my short shots without the baffles. Haven't noticed much difference in performance with them in or out. I had to take em out tho, couldn't stand that rattley sound on decel.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:47 PM
lhcstreetbob
Road Captain

yeah i guess i might try it do you have any tips on how to get them out is it as easy as taking the screws out?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:50 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by lhcstreetbob
has anyone taken the baffles out of there vance and vines short shot stagggerd? does it make a diffrence in performance?
You'll have to pull the heat shields off to get at the screw that holds the baffel in the end of the pipe.

To gain some engine back pressure & low end torque... get a fender washer (slightly smaller in diameter than the id of your pipe), weld a short length of all thread (a bolt, that will fit into the baffle screw hole, with the head cut off) to the washer and inset it into the baffle screw hole with a nut on the outside.

You'll be able to "adjust" the back pressure & sound by rotating the washer from zero to 90 degrees.

I did this on my Fat Bob (stock exhaust w/o baffles, SE air cleaner, no fuel manager) except I used 1/4-20 x 1" long nuts (instead of all thread) with a bolt (instead of a nut) on the outside of the pipe. It sounds great and has enough torque to pull me down into the seat on hard acceleration, no pop... pop... backfire on decceleration or up shifting.

If you do this with those S.S. Stagered pipes I'd suggest drilling a hole in the haet shield for quick & easy adjustment of the washer baffle. Or run around for a while w/o the shields to see how the washer baffles work for you. Then maybe wrap the pipes if your squemish about putting a hole in your heat shields.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:55 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool Drag Pipe Baffles

Originally Posted by lhcstreetbob
You'll have to pull the heat shields off to get at the screw that holds the baffel in the end of the pipe.

To gain some engine back pressure & low end torque... get a fender washer (slightly smaller in diameter than the id of your pipe), weld a short length of all thread (a bolt, that will fit into the baffle screw hole with the head cut off) to the washer and inset it into the baffle screw hole with a nut on the outside.

You'll be able to "adjust" the back pressure & sound by rotating the washer from zero to 90 degrees.

I did this on my Fat Bob (stock exhaust w/o baffles, SE air cleaner, no fuel manager) except I used 1/4-20 x 1" long nuts (instead of all thread) with a bolt (instead of a nut) on the outside of the pipe. It sounds great and has enough torque to pull me down into the seat on hard acceleration, no pop... pop... backfire on decceleration or up shifting.

If you do this with those S.S. Stagered pipes I'd suggest drilling a hole in the haet shield for quick & easy adjustment of the washer baffle. Or run around for a while w/o the shields to see how the washer baffles work for you. Then maybe wrap the pipes if your squemish about putting a hole in your heat shields.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:10 AM
lhcstreetbob
Road Captain

that sounds cool i will give that a try.always good info on this site thanks again

Old 10-12-2008, 11:37 AM
FXDB
Advanced

I added home made baffels to my straight shots, gave me some extra back pressure and made the sound much deeper.

Attached Thumbnails anyone take the baffles out of short shots-dsc03167.jpg  
Old 10-12-2008, 12:00 PM
orrbull48
Cruiser

i actually took mine out last night, just took shields off took baffle screws out and pulled the baffles out with my fingers......pretty easy, then i took a sawzall and cut them in half and put them back in.

Quick Reply: anyone take the baffles out of short shots