Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coming out of the air filter????

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Malllet13
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coming out of the air filter????

Can anyone tell me what it means if oil is coming out of the air filter? I just got the oil changed last week and had no problems. I havent rode the bike for a couple of days and went to pull it out and saw oil leaking out of the air filter. I put less then 200miles on the bike since the oil change. I am hoping that maybe the dealer over filled or something very simple but fear the worst......

Old 10-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Rancid17
Cruiser

Sounds like they overfilled it, if they are new and weren't paying attention, the manual says that a dry fill will take 3qts. Most oil changes are wet changes, meaning there's still some oil in the system even after the pan is drained, if this is the case it should only take 2.5qts. Just a guess...

Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Malllet13
Can anyone tell me what it means if oil is coming out of the air filter? I just got the oil changed last week and had no problems. I havent rode the bike for a couple of days and went to pull it out and saw oil leaking out of the air filter. I put less then 200miles on the bike since the oil change. I am hoping that maybe the dealer over filled or something very simple but fear the worst......
OK, not 100% sure how oil could be coming out of your air filter since it is unrelated to oil...now if you said gas I'd understand. Maybe you're getting blowback off the top rockers themselves. Check around your rocker covers and see if there is any oil leakage anywhere. Your air filter is part of the fuel system, hence no oil would be coming through it. Are you sure it isn't dirty fuel?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,809 Likes on 2,545 Posts

There is an umbrella valve in the rocker boxes of both cylinders these are supposed to act as check valves and just let oil vapors pass out of the heads thru two little hoses and vented into the throttle bore to be burnt in the combustion process. A crude closed emissions control. Check your oil level when the bike is at operating temps if its overfilled let the dealer adjust the quantity. I have open air filters on both bikes, one has 33k on it and no problems the other at 8k and no problems.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:36 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Too much oil, plain and simple. The proper way is to add about 2.5 quarts and run it for a few minutes and then check the level. If it is halfway or so ride it for a while and check it again. Once bike is at regular operating temp fill to the top if you wish.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:39 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
OK, not 100% sure how oil could be coming out of your air filter since it is unrelated to oil...now if you said gas I'd understand. Maybe you're getting blowback off the top rockers themselves. Check around your rocker covers and see if there is any oil leakage anywhere. Your air filter is part of the fuel system, hence no oil would be coming through it. Are you sure it isn't dirty fuel?
this is completely untrue...your cylinder head crankcase breathers run though your intake (crankcase breathers).... alot of people will actually re-route then to a catch can or something along those lines to catch that oil before it gets into your intake and sucked back into the motor... before i go on long trips i will use a turkey baster to remove a bit of oil to compensate for the oil expansion as it gets hot... you will find alot of people do this... just pull a bit of oil out you just have a touch to much in there...

Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
^^^Incorrect answer.

Originally Posted by JRK5892
this is completely untrue...your cylinder head crankcase breathers run though your intake (crankcase breathers).... alot of people will actually re-route then to a catch can or something along those lines to catch that oil before it gets into your intake and sucked back into the motor... before i go on long trips i will use a turkey baster to remove a bit of oil to compensate for the oil expansion as it gets hot... you will find alot of people do this... just pull a bit of oil out you just have a touch to much in there...
^^^Correct answer and procedure.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a common problem and has nothing to do with overfilling. Here's the cure.
http://www.jpcycles.com/search.aspx?...t&store=Harley

Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

since removing the baffles I also richened up the fuel mixture...It was too rich so today I readjusted the needle...there was excess oil accumulated more so than before. I thought that was interesting as not a single drop of oil has been added since change a while back...

Old 10-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Malllet13
5th Gear
Default Thank you

Thank you for your replys I am feeling a little better about it now... Still pissed thou.. It was my 1st oil change and spent way to much at the dealer to get it done for them to F*** it up

Quick Reply: Oil coming out of the air filter????