Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand of Modulator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts
Default What brand of Modulator?

I've been thinking about getting a headlight modulator for quite a while now. Recently my brother had a very close call when someone didn't see him and pulled out right in front of him. He didn't touch the car, but his pants did. That has made me get more serious about the modulator. My dealer recommends the Kisan unit but looking at their website it looks to me that it flashes too fast. I am leaning toward the Kriss unit. Does anyone have one of these, or another brand that you would recommend?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:59 AM
rhinoWErX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-08-2008, 10:09 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Modulator...yukkk... looks like you got an electrical problem... never appear to be more noticable to me...brother may have had the close call modulator or not...
your choice but i feel it is money wasted...

Old 10-08-2008, 12:46 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default I disagree 100%

When riding in a truck the lights on a modulator really grabs your attention. I would not care what it looks like as long as it saves you from getting hit. A modulator increases your visibility in the daytime.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:59 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FastHarley
When riding in a truck the lights on a modulator really grabs your attention. I would not care what it looks like as long as it saves you from getting hit. A modulator increases your visibility in the daytime.
really your probably right but I am a biker and as such all bikes attract my attention!!
that said I think modulators look pathetic and if you need to run one because your afraid of being hit... well damnit ... quit being sooo afraid...

Old 10-08-2008, 03:25 PM
rhinoWErX
Tourer
Thumbs up

I find brake modulators to be extremely effective - especially since my #1 concern is being rear ended by some knucklehead in a cage not paying attention (once was enough )

Sure you can self modulate your brake, but I find that rapid modulation in emergency situations don't always come naturally...

Old 10-08-2008, 03:31 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rhinoWErX
I find brake modulators to be extremely effective - especially since my #1 concern is being rear ended by some knucklehead in a cage not paying attention (once was enough )

Sure you can self modulate your brake, but I find that rapid modulation in emergency situations don't always come naturally...
how do you know that your brake modulator is more effective than just a brake light... have you polled people that come up behind you and found that an alarming amount would have hit you if your brake light did not flash???
fear is a self fulfilling prophecy...
sorry you got rear ended before...

Last edited by rounder; 10-08-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

No comment...........

Old 10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
rhinoWErX
Tourer

Originally Posted by rounder
how do you know that your brake modulator is more effective than just a brake light... have you polled people that come up behind you and found that an alarming amount would have hit you if your brake light did not flash???
sorry but I don't buy it.
And nor do you have to.

FWIW - Of course it's subjective, but here is how I gauge the results;

- I ride to work every day, leaving the house at 5am (it's dark outside)
- Between my wife and I, we have several motorcycles. I cycle through them - excuse the pun - based on mood, and to make sure the batteries stay charged.
- not all of the bikes have taillight modulators.
- when riding a bike with taillight modulator, it is clearly apparent the cages behind me will slow down further back, as well as keeping a greater distance from me at traffic lights - not the case when riding one of the bikes without a modulator.

Believe it or not (and most likely because I've been rear ended before while riding), I pay close attention to what's going on behind me.

Freaks me out more so in the mornings, when drivers are half asleep - sometimes I feel like a bowling pin

YMMV

Last edited by rhinoWErX; 10-08-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:01 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rhinoWErX
And nor do you have to.

FWIW - Of course it's subjective, but here is how I gauge the results;

- I ride to work every day, leaving the house at 5am (it's dark outside)
- Between my wife and I, we have several motorcycles. I cycle through them - excuse the pun - based on mood, and to make sure the batteries stay charged.
- not all of the bikes have taillight modulators.
- when riding a bike with taillight modulator, it is clearly apparent the cages behind me will slow down further back, as well as keeping a greater distance from me at traffic lights - not the case when riding one of the bikes without a modulator.

Believe it or not (and most likely because I've been rear ended before while riding), I pay close attention to what's going on behind me.

Freaks me out more so in the mornings, when drivers are half asleep - sometimes I feel like a bowling pin

YMMV

Ok well I ride one bike and while my taillight can modulate I choose not to... no close calls or any signs of someone hitting me in 22 years!!!! my only drop was when I was 18 and showboating....self fulfilling prophecy.. what you fear always shows up!!!

Last edited by rounder; 10-08-2008 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: What brand of Modulator?